Thread: Cooling Fan Gearbox

dalej Guest

Default Cooling Fan Gearbox

I started to think about the gearbox that runs the cooling fan. I was looking at it and noticed there was no way to check the oil level and no way to drain it. I had called Prevost and they said they made a dipstick from a piece of wire. I made one and check the level, it was half full.

I thought that maybe I should just drain and replace the oil. If you couldn’t access the drain plug then maybe it had never been serviced since it was put in. I looked for a drain plug and didn’t find one. What they did was put the gearbox on a riser with no way to drain the oil. I used a suction method to remove the oil.

While working on removing the oil, I thought maybe I should just remove the riser and cut a hole in it and add a extension tube to the drain. It looks like it will be much easier to service the gearbox now.

If you are using a 200 series gearbox made by Superior you might want to make this modification.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good post Dale. I recently went through the same process. The maintenance manual confuses the issue with arrows pointing to non-existent fill and drain plugs, assume for the older style Boston gearbox. Your modification makes good sense. Were you able to leave the gearbox hanging on the shafts in order to not disturb the alignment?

dalej Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
    Were you able to leave the gearbox hanging on the shafts in order to not disturb the alignment?
    Brian, Everything is back to original except I have hole in the mounting plate and a drain tube.

Nice Job, Dale. Am I correct that we use 90wt. gear oil in the box?

dalej Guest

If you have a Superior gearbox and it has 4.5" bolt centers and is 4 inches tall, then you have a gearbox manufactured by Superior.

It holds 14 ounces of Mobil SHC-630, Prevost part # 180217