Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generator Air Bags

Smile Generator Air Bags

Just finished installing four new air bags on the gen set. Set it up with a single point air fill and large liquid filled pressure gauge (for the visually impaired). Used 1/4 tubing to connect them together. Starts at the port aft, goes to the starboard aft, then starboard forward, on to port forward. No plumbing across the front of the generator. Best of all it does not leak, yet.
    Last edited by jimshoen; 05-26-2008 at 12:17 AM.

Nice looking air bags. Did you replace old ones or did the Generator never have them.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Replaced the existing air bags with the exact same Goodyear Airmounts. The originals were leaking and making it difficult to keep them properly aired up. I was going to just replace the two problem bags. However, Jon recommended changing them all out. Originally, each bag had its' own valve stem for airing and checking pressure. The rear units were (are) hard to get to for general service. No problem now. The air pressure gauge is a big help.

Nice looking generator also.
    GregM

Nice job Jim... I remember on my 97 Marathon to check the rear two bags you almost had to climb in the compartment even with the gen pulled out.

Nice work, Jim. You might consider writing the procedure up and posting it and the pictures over on the articles page. I wonder what that job would have cost to have done at Marathon, or any shop for that matter. Well done.

Also, your gauge shows you have the bags at 30#'s. I think Liberty says 18 to 20 and I'm wondering which pressure is best, or if it really makes any difference.

OK, Jim now I have more work for you. It will actually make life easier for you.

Find the closest source of converter auxiliary air. Most likely that source is in the steer compartment. Tee into that air and then into a pressure regulator, either located at the source or in the generator bay. I recommend you locate it next to the generator.

Then tie that line into your generator air bag system. Adjust the regulator to the desired pressure and from then on it will take care of itself.

I could take a shot and say if you had a Liberty that is what you would already have, but I will not do that.

Nice looking installation.... congratulations on a job well done.

Default generator air bags

Jim, Good job. Did you use the schrader valves or did you replace them? I went to the hardware store today to purchase the parts but could not find a nipple to fit the schrader air valve. Where did you purchase your fittings? I noticed your air gage at 30 lbs. I keep mine at 15 lbs but I don't know what should be the correct number. Thanks, Darrell