Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Trip Coburg Or.To San Antonio Fl.

That trip from Coburg to San Antonio sounds like quite a shake down cruise. Ours was only from San Antonio, FL. to Port Saint Lucie, so we're still learnin'.

The first real trip will be to Sevierville in a couple of weeks..... can't wait!

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 0533 View Post
    I did have a small issue when I left an RV park. I normally put my foot on the brake, lightly, release the parking air brake then place the coach into drive, This morning for some reason I put my foot on the brake, placed the coach into drive then released the parking brake. For a full second or two the coach seemed locked in place unable to move, I even had to add power to get it unstuck. It was like I still had my parking brake on.
    sometimes the valves (quick release and/or relay emergency) can be a little slow too, did you have enough air up?

Jon, I would appreciate your showing me in TN the #76 Relay, so I can decide if I want to pull it or not? If you were driving behind me some evening I wouldn't want you speeding past 62.5 just to pass me up, cause of my brake lights?

Now another newbie question. How much actual braking do you guys feel when your Jake brake works? Mine doesn't seem to pull down much at all?

I could really feel the braking when I was in my 39' Discovery so I knew it was working, but honestly, I don't feel much of a brake at all, and I have the control set on 1, which I think is the lowest setting, meaning the most braking?

Is it possible my Jake isn't actually working? I know the brake lights come on, when I release the throttle cause I see the brake light on the dash come on, but is it possible I am not getting the braking I should be getting?

Thanks

Gary S.

Quote Originally Posted by Orren Zook View Post
    sometimes the valves (quick release and/or relay emergency) can be a little slow too, did you have enough air up?
    Good question. I am afraid that I might have been distracted making my exit out of that park. I do remember that it was cold and damp and I was on gravel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Peggy Stevens View Post
    Jon, I would appreciate your showing me in TN the #76 Relay, so I can decide if I want to pull it or not? If you were driving behind me some evening I wouldn't want you speeding past 62.5 just to pass me up, cause of my brake lights?

Now another newbie question. How much actual braking do you guys feel when your Jake brake works? Mine doesn't seem to pull down much at all?

I could really feel the braking when I was in my 39' Discovery so I knew it was working, but honestly, I don't feel much of a brake at all, and I have the control set on 1, which I think is the lowest setting, meaning the most braking?

Is it possible my Jake isn't actually working? I know the brake lights come on, when I release the throttle cause I see the brake light on the dash come on, but is it possible I am not getting the braking I should be getting?

Thanks

Gary S.
    Hello Gary,

I noticed the same thing about the Jake Brake, and thought it was a weight difference issue, my plastic coach was a much lighter coach, less HP. and seemed to react faster. As for my air, the coach seemed to be up where it should be at all times. I sometimes when getting ready to go down a long 6% several mile grade, would cycle the jake brake from off to high just to test it, and it seemed to react better, or at least I felt better about.

Question What Do You Have

Gary S, and Bruce, do you guys in fact have the Jake Brake, or do you have trans. retarders?
    If it's the retarder I don't think the braking action is as great as with a full Jake set up.

Gary,

Watch to boost gauge as you toggle between low and high and you can tell if it's workiing.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
    Gary S, and Bruce, do you guys in fact have the Jake Brake, or do you have trans. retarders?
    If it's the retarder I don't think the braking action is as great as with a full Jake set up.
    Hi Jim,
    Here are some of the specs on my coach from the original build sheet.

All Prevost conversions include: Detroit Diesel Series 60 Engine,World Transmission,Jacob’s Engine Brake, DDEC III Pro Driver Electronic Controls.

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Gary,

Watch to boost gauge as you toggle between low and high and you can tell if it's workiing.
    I admittedly did not watch the boost gauge for this, only when climbing hills etc. I did however sometimes open my side window to get some fresh air when entering small towns along the way and could hear the brake working, it was not very loud, of course it was 45' away heading backwards.

If you have a concrete barrier next to you as the Jake Brake is engaged you can definetly hear it engage. (drivers window ajar).

I've had both the transmission retarder (liberty) and the Jake Brake (marathon) and I've found the retarder much more reponsive. The downside is you have to keep an eye on the trans. oil temp. gauge.

Mike