Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Coburg Or.To San Antonio Fl.

Gary,

The Jake or retarder will engage anytime you lift from the throttle. And the brake lights will then come on. That is fine if everytime you are lifting from the throttle you are braking, but if you are on the interstate and you or your cruise control lifts from the throttle only to maintain a given speed because you are going down a barely perceptible grade you will drive those behind you nuts because they will think you are riding the brake.

If you want to know how truly disconcerting this can be, follow another coach that has not pulled that relay, and that has the Jake or retarder engaged. After a while it will either annoy you or piss you off.

Do you run with the retarder/jake all the time? My jake is two position and it seems that in the low position the brake lights do not come on.

I tend to leave the jake off, unless I'm in a place where I'll need it. I may be wrong, but I've felt if it comes on with every lift if the accellerator (and even on cruise as you mentioned), that I'm losing MPG because of braking that isn't needed?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Do you run with the retarder/jake all the time? My jake is two position and it seems that in the low position the brake lights do not come on.

I tend to leave the jake off, unless I'm in a place where I'll need it. I may be wrong, but I've felt if it comes on with every lift if the accellerator (and even on cruise as you mentioned), that I'm losing MPG because of braking that isn't needed?

Ray
    Hi Ray,

When I left the factory they said to leave it on at all times (unless there are local restrictions) either on low or the high setting. I left mine on all the time, and on high when I was going up and down the higher elevations, felt that I needed it to slow down on the long grades, even shifted down w few times when the Wx was nasty. My overall fuel economy for the 3600 mile ride using the Detroit Pro drivers unit was 6.97 mpg. I tried to cruise at 70 when the conditions allowed and set my cruise for this as well, but of course there were lots of hill climbs and smaller roads along the way.

Jon would have hated following me. maybe this why some of the long haul drivers were passing me even when I was going 70. I think one of them was Jon, he was holding up a sign that said "Relay#76 you newbie".

I drive at 62.5 mph all the time. Roger will attest to that. Those brake lights may not be particularly annoying during the day, but in the dark they sure are to those following you.

You guys drive in the darK???

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I drive at 62.5 mph all the time. Roger will attest to that. Those brake lights may not be particularly annoying during the day, but in the dark they sure are to those following you.
    Well, the first thing you need to do Jon is get off the road at dark, you should be enjoying a cocktail and kicking back during those hours. I hate driving at night and really need to get off the road for that first beer.

Bruce

That shows how screwed up you guys are.

I can't wait to start driving so I start out at 2:00 or 3:00 AM. It's dark then also, but since you guys apparently need your beauty sleep you would not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    That shows how screwed up you guys are.

I can't wait to start driving so I start out at 2:00 or 3:00 AM. It's dark then also, but since you guys apparently need your beauty sleep you would not know that.
    I'm just coming in from a night on the town at that hour, grab some beauty sleep for a couple of hours and hit the road, break for a long lunch at a swank cafe while someone is fueling my coach, checking my oil the windows. Role into a camp ground around 5, greeted by a pit crew who hook me up while I break out the champagne. The help gets the grill hot and life is good. After all why do we own Prevosts if we can't be pampered a little.

Ray,

I leave mine on full all the time (relay pulled) as I feel that I need some immediate braking I won't have time trying to fumble for that switch.

0533 I'll need to check out your pit crew in TN. They sound perfect.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    Ray,

I leave mine on full all the time (relay pulled) as I feel that I need some immediate braking I won't have time trying to fumble for that switch.

0533 I'll need to check out your pit crew in TN. They sound perfect.

Mike
    When I was returning back into Florida got into a convoy of buses heading for Daytona including the Playboy Bus and the Girls Gone Wild Bus. I guess I was living Vicariously for a brief moment. Guy can day dream a little can't he.