Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I-10 or I-20 Tucson to Lakeland, FL??

Default I-10 or I-20 Tucson to Lakeland, FL??

Brian and I will be traveling from Tucson to the Sun-n-Fun fly-in in Lakeland, FL prior to heading to POG V. We are looking for ideas on interesting/historic places to stop along the way. Parks, battlegrounds, museums, nice camping spots, fishing, food, etc. Thanks, but malls and antique shops are not on the list. We would also welcome anyone who wants to tag along. We plan to leave the Tucson area around the 20th of March, will be in Lakeland from the 8th to 11th of April and then head for Sevierville. See ya'll there!

Beverly Esler

Wow, sounds like a wonderful trip! Wish we were able to tag along!

Bev,

We had a good time at Tombstone a couple of weeks ago. I would also suggest Mi Nidito in Tucson and Si Senor in Las Cruces for Mexican food.

There is a nice campground in Marble Falls that would be a stop after a day in Fredricksburg which has the Nimitz Museum and lots of attractions. Breakfast at the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls is good. They also have good pie.

BBQ heaven has to occur between Lockhart and Luling, Texas. The City Market in Luling is very good, but Krutz, Blacks or Smitty's in Lockhart are special.

Bypass Austin. If you must, the Sunday brunch at Stubb's BBQ is complete with gospel music quartet. You can park on the street with coach and toad. Or at least I did.

The Alamo. But go over to the Riverwalk IMAX and watch the Alamo IMAX film first. Ride the river boats. Then either Mi Tierra or Pico de Gullo for Tex Mex. Not to be confused with the good food in Tucson or Las Cruces.

Goliad - Great battlegound and the fort is still there. If you stray way far south, Joe Cotton's BBQ in Robstown. They don't take credit cards.

Houston - Luling City Market BBQ. Better than the one in Luling because you don't have to share a knife with your neighbor. Best sausage in existance. Goode Company Seafood. Order the shrimp campachana for an appetizer. Yo Mamma's on Antoine. Soul food. Get the meatloaf. Pizzatola's BBQ on Shepard. Ribs & Beef or deboned chicken.

Do the Johnson Space Center. The train museum in Galveston is okay but the Lone Star Flight Museum is better. Eat at Guido's on the Seawall. Loc says there is a good campgound at Kemah, but I haven't been there. Cool boardwalk at Kemah, but bypass all the Landry's food outlets and eat at Pappadeaux next to the channel. A chain, but better than Landry's.

When you start east you loose me. I like eating at Mike Anderson's in Baton Rouge and there is a place just over the tall bridge in Lake Charles that serves good crawfish and associated seafood. It's on the north side, Steamboat Bill's or some such name.

If you go I-20 the battleground at Vicksburg is not to be missed. Call ahead and reserve a private guide. Best deal going. Food in Vicksburg sucks.

win42 Guest

OK JDUB, You need to start a special travel log location similar to what Mango has done for us on tools and repairs. You do a good job with describing your travel experiances. How else are we gonna find this valuable experiance before heading out.
    Geterdone Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by win42 View Post
    OK JDUB, You need to start a special travel log location similar to what Mango has done for us on tools and repairs. You do a good job with describing your travel experiances. How else are we gonna find this valuable experiance before heading out.
    Geterdone Boy.

My gosh, Harry, I gained ten pounds just reading that deal. I think there are like twenty different places to eat that JDUB rates from just "good" all the way up to "Heavenly." I do like the travel ratio, however. Breaks down like this:

20 places to eat
    5 sights to see
    2 places to stay overnight

JDUB has his travel priorities right in line with mine.
    Last edited by tdelorme; 01-16-2008 at 07:44 AM.

Hey Bev,

Aren't you glad you asked about food!

If you take I-10, Battlefield Park in Mobile has the USS Alabama, a Submarine and lots of military aircraft for Brian to get his fix before Sun-N-Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelorme View Post
    My gosh, Harry, I gained ten pounds just reading that deal. I think there are like twenty different places to eat that JDUB rates from just "good" all the way up to "Heavenly." I do like the travel ratio, however. Breaks down like this:

20 places to eat
    5 sights to see
    2 places to stay overnight

JDUB has his travel priorities right in line with mine.
    Ted, Thanks for keeping score.

JDUB, Beverly asked for a little help in composing an appropriate thanks for your Galloping Gourmet review of the southwest. While we will make every attempt to visit your recommended eateries, we fear a visit from the great anaconda if we take full advantage of the tour. You have obviously great experience in locating fine restaurants attested by a photo we located of you taken sometime in the seventies.

Tom, When returning from purchasing our rig from Parliament in '04, we spent 2 days at Battle Field Park. Along with the Pensacola Museum and the Pima Museum it makes the I-10 route a great ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Rut Roh!

Brian, that picture is seriously funny. I don't care who you are!

I would put my flame snuffer proof suit on if I were you!

Default Lunch

Brian,

I was sure that JDUB had located and burned every copy of that picture of him with his cousin Opie at McDonalds in Ardmore, OK in 1971. Enjoyed meeting you and Beverly today in Houston. I hope you have a good trip to Tennessee and other points. I will take you up on the camping spot in Washington when we make it back up that way.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

I've got a question, which one is JDUB?

I'm glad I'm not Brian. As a matter of fact, I'm glad that I don't live in the northwest. I would hate to be on the receiving end of that post Somebody's got brass ba$$s.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot