Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by rfoster View Post
    Bruce --this is were the Quest Charger comes in to play that Truk suggested. He has installed one on his bus, Mango has one, and I think Phorner has one as well. They are designed to be three stage, from bulk to float (or trickle). My coach is a 97 vintage and the Quest charger must be from a later more modern era. May have to get one some time in the future.
    Is this the unit? See link.

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Sp...4424a5295.html

If so, where would you install it and where would it fit inline with the batteries?

Bruce

Bruce,

I think you already figured out I was referring to the chassis charger. I doubt you have one and you may want to think about adding a Guest Charger. When your running, your 270 amp alternator is charging the house and the chassis. You have 2 equalizers, one for the house and one for the chassis. I think your getting a battery balance light on the dash and something is wrong. Your Marathon is 24 volt and I'm not sure if the dash light is telling you there is a chassis voltage problem or house voltage problem. My 97 had the light, but I never had any issues. Check your manuals and determine what the light is telling you. It's really hard to narrow it down with knowing the function of the light.

The only time your chassis batteries are being charged is when the engine is running. Your Inverters take care of the house, but have no charge function for the chassis.

Let us know what the light means?

Picture 5.jpg

Bruce this is the one we're using.

http://www.amazon.com/Guest-2611A-Ba.../dp/B000NHZV1S

From Amazon

charger_2513.jpg

In the Liberty mounted on the bulkhead above the chassis batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    charger_2513.jpg

In the Liberty mounted on the bulkhead above the chassis batteries.
    Thanks Tom and Mango.

I will figure out which light it is and get that straight before installing the charger.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by 0533 View Post
    Thanks Gary,

I think I better understand this now. I had to replace all four of mine when I purchased my bus. It had set for a while as well.

I do still wonder about one thing that I have noticed on my bus while running the genset underway. I have recently noticed a red light on my dash comes on indicating a battery drain when the genset is running. When its off there is no light and the battery voltage is fine, when its on the voltage starts to drop a little, from 28/29 down to about 25 or so. Does anyone know why this happens or has experienced this on their coaches?

Thanks,

Bruce
    Bruce, I read this post and have a comment on your voltage. I think a reading of 28 to 29 volts on a 24 volt system is too high. Perhaps this voltage is just a "surface charge" and everything is o.k. as long as the reading drops to around 25 volts during normal operation.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by JIM KELLER View Post
    Bruce, I read this post and have a comment on your voltage. I think a reading of 28 to 29 volts on a 24 volt system is too high. Perhaps this voltage is just a "surface charge" and everything is o.k. as long as the reading drops to around 25 volts during normal operation.
    Thats interesting Jim.

The voltage meter on the dash runs high, could this simply be the gauge its self??

The red light that comes on the dash shows a picture of a battery (I am 250 miles from the coach and the prevost manuals) and only comes on when the generator is running when the Bus is operational, running down the road.

The voltage drops to about 25 volts. Why would it drop? It does not go below 25 volts. I thought the light was detecting a voltage drop, or discharge.

My plan is to have the Chassis batteries (all new) looked at to see if there might be a problem, and also have the Genset wiring inspected, as its my understanding that the genset battery will charge both the house and chassis batteries when operational????

The big question is what causes an overvoltage (if meter is correct) and what causes a discharge when the genset is on?? Is or could the two be related?

Bruce,

Once again.... Unless someone added a chassis charger, the only way your chassis gets charged is running the engine. It DOES NOT charge off the gen or shore power. This is assuming you have one big 24v alternator.

You have to identify the warning light to determine if it's house or chassis! Your telling us voltage, is that the dash engine voltage or a house gauge? 25v for the engine gauge is low, while running it should read 26+.

Quote Originally Posted by 0533 View Post
    Thats interesting Jim.

The voltage meter on the dash runs high, could this simply be the gauge its self??

The red light that comes on the dash shows a picture of a battery (I am 250 miles from the coach and the prevost manuals) and only comes on when the generator is running when the Bus is operational, running down the road.

The voltage drops to about 25 volts. Why would it drop? It does not go below 25 volts. I thought the light was detecting a voltage drop, or discharge.

My plan is to have the Chassis batteries (all new) looked at to see if there might be a problem, and also have the Genset wiring inspected, as its my understanding that the genset battery will charge both the house and chassis batteries when operational????

The big question is what causes an overvoltage (if meter is correct) and what causes a discharge when the genset is on?? Is or could the two be related?
    " What causes an overvoltage [ if the meter is correct.] Well, several things could cause this problem. One bad cell in a battery as previously discussed could be a problem. A regulated charging system detects a weakness in a battery cell and tries to make up for that weakness by overcharging. Consequently the other batteries in the system suffer from the excess voltage and die a premature death.

" What causes a discharge when the genset is on." Prehaps there is no discharge. 24 to 25 volts seems like a normal operating range. Like Tom said, find out what the light on your dash means and let us know.

The best way to understand your electrical system is to start with a hand held meter. Record the voltage of all systems with the bus unpluged from shore power. Get a reading on the genset battery, the house batteries and the chassis batteries. Then, one by one start individual systems up and check the readings. Example, plug in then unplug. Start the engine then shut it down. Start the generator then shut it down. By isolating the systems you will get a better handle on what is going on and make it easier for someone like Jon or Tom to take over and help you.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by JIM KELLER View Post
    " What causes an overvoltage [ if the meter is correct.] Well, several things could cause this problem. One bad cell in a battery as previously discussed could be a problem. A regulated charging system detects a weakness in a battery cell and tries to make up for that weakness by overcharging. Consequently the other batteries in the system suffer from the excess voltage and die a premature death.

" What causes a discharge when the genset is on." Prehaps there is no discharge. 24 to 25 volts seems like a normal operating range. Like Tom said, find out what the light on your dash means and let us know.

The best way to understand your electrical system is to start with a hand held meter. Record the voltage of all systems with the bus unpluged from shore power. Get a reading on the genset battery, the house batteries and the chassis batteries. Then, one by one start individual systems up and check the readings. Example, plug in then unplug. Start the engine then shut it down. Start the generator then shut it down. By isolating the systems you will get a better handle on what is going on and make it easier for someone like Jon or Tom to take over and help you.
    Excellent plan Jim, It sounds like you really have a handle on these types of nagging electrical problems.

Thanks again,

Bruce