Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Input on this coach

Default Input on this coach

The following is a coach that my wife and I keep going back to. Being a newbie, I would like some input. Let me what you think of this bus and why? Thanks for all the help.

http://www.genexusa.com/prevost.html
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

dalej Guest

Tony,

It is very hard to look at the photos and tell you what we think. It looks like a well kept coach. You have to look at some coachs in that era and make the call. I seen a 91 or 92 country coach at Desert West (on prevost-stuff sponsors) That Lloyd was looking at and it was a nice coach for that year. I think it was around $139,000

Maybe someone in south Texas could look at it with you. Keep in mind if the price is right, you won't mind fixing things on it. Just make sure the motor and transmission are strong. If you can get the service data on those items you could post them.

Just to let you know, I bought the second coach I looked at, still own it.
    Last edited by dalej; 03-22-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Default Price..

First, welcome to the group Tony!
    This looks like an extraordinary coach, well kept, low mileage, and loaded with equipment. I only have two comments; do you really want a 40' rig and is it priced right. When I bought our coach I had lots of input from friends and relatives that owned these vehicles. Almost all encouraged us to buy a 45' model and something 1996 or newer because of the Prevost engine changes after that date. I am really glad we made the decision to purchase one with the extra 5'. For you I think it might be even more important with the space needed for a young family. Pulling a long trailer or vehicle could make a 40' the only vehicle that would comply with some state's length laws but other than that I think the 45' is better. The series 60 engine could be another reason to buy a newer coach. Fuel economy is a big issue right now and regardless of the diesel price in relation to the overall operating cost it will have an impact on resale value.

No doubt about it, this 40' Liberty looks like a beautiful coach that anyone would be proud to own. I think others here have offered similar advice but the ultimate decision is yours and your family's. My advice really only applies to what has worked for me and my family.

Good luck and try to come to one of the rallies.

Assuming the coach has been well maintained you seem to have picked a winner.

I have a strong bias toward Liberty so take anything I say as reflecting that.

Ignoring price for the moment, there is little you will need that is not on that coach. Like all of us you may upgrade some of the audio visual stuff or change some fabrics but essentially that coach has features you will find lacking on coaches of its vintage.

What you will get with the coach is Liberty support. If you own a Liberty, they will stand behind it and support you should you ever need service or advice. If you have any problems or issues Liberty will take care of you.

Reading the specs it appears the owner(s) kept this coach up to date. Based on its vintage it has some things not available when it was built such as Crestron. I can assure you that you will look for years and not find a coach of this age equipped as this coach is equipped.

Where I part ways from a lot of folks is that I tend to hang on to a coach. I am not someone that flips coaches. If I am to trade there has to be a strong reason. As a result it is more important to get a coach that is as near perfect for my needs as possible, and not try to get the best price in the world. Others are more concerned with getting the most coach for the smallest price. When I see the rare coach that trips my trigger I am OK spending a fair price for it, because I know that after owning it for ten years the small amount extra that I might have paid is inconsequential. This coach would fit into that category for me.

Take that as a strong endorsement, assuming it passes a detailed inspection with no surprises and evidence of good maintenance.

That coach has been on the market for a long time. It's been on eBay in the "MyStores" section for a year and is still listed there.
    Looks like a real nice coach, just overpriced. Virtually the same coach that we paid about $45,000 less for. It might be worth that much more, but I'm happy with mine at the price we paid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...spagenameZWD1V

If $165,000 is the price, then it must reflect that value in some fashion, starting with detailed maintenance records and ending with a no squawk inspection.

At that price the tires and batteries should be so new that replacement will not be a near future requirement, and everything should work. To use Ted's example, assuming near equivalent coaches, he can afford to have a lot of work done, get a new paint job, and redo the upholstery and still be on a par with that coach price wise.

This is a perfect example of the type of problem faced by a new buyer. That price is in the range a converter might charge, selling the coach with a full pre delivery maintenance and inspection, and a warranty of some sort.

That coach may really be worth the price because its pictures and specs lead me to believe it is not going to be easily duplicated, but it also needs to be pristine and well maintained. If it is not as good as it seems it may be overpriced. It is still a much better deal than a plastic coach at the same price.

Dale the Desert West coach will sell for $125. I have lots of photos if someone is interested.

Default Thanks.

Just a word of thanks to all of you for your time in responding to my questions. It is invaluable and i cannot believe that I could get that much intelligence from any other source. You all have my sincere gratitude.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

VegasDogMan Guest

Coach looks very nice. From my recent 3 year experience living full time in a 40' Liberty you should be aware that there is little storage space below in this coach.

One full bay all the way through plus a few drawers and that's it down below. OTR AC, Gen, Radiator, Inverters, Gen Battery, Water Bays, Entertainment Center all hog storage below.

If you're looking for a coach for full timing or extended travelling you might be better off with a 45' coach or something with roof air and no OTR AC.

Then again, if your looking for a week-ender then this coach would be great.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

That bus would leave you wanting nothing accept maybe another 5ft and the motor upgrade that would automatically come with.

In the current market even if it turns out perfect with new tires and new batteries IMO it should be had for less.