Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8V92 vs. S60

Question 8V92 vs. S60

I am a new member to POG and a novice at best to the RV industry. My wife and I have decided to sell a vacation home and travel more and have decided to purchase a Prevost bus for the same reasons that most of you have. In my search for a bus that my wife and I can both agree on, I have developed an assumption that the 8V92 engine is inferior to the Series 60 and have been avoiding those coaches. Can some of the more knowledgeable and technical of the group give me your opinions to the validity of my assumption. Tony.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

The 8V is inferior compared to the 60series, no arguing that. In short newer is better, at least until IMO, that cost curve makes that hard turn straight UP. IMO it looks like the market is letting mid to late 90"s stuff with the 60series go for pretty reasonable prices compared to what it costs to get a new and I could not imagine what one would want that that vintage would not have.

Do you like to tinker? Are you mechanicly minded? Have you ever owned an RV?
    If you had to answer no to all those questions you should still go ahead with your plans because now you have all of us good move

By the way hello and nice to meet you.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 03-21-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Welcome to POG Tony, we're glad to have you here.

I think this topic will vary from person to person. You are right in the 8V92 is older than the Series 60. However, for a lot of people who are cost-conscious, the justification to getting a series 60 isn't always that simple.

The S60 engines came in around 95. By about 97 that's all you can get. So, if you're looking at coaches 97 or newer, it's not an issue.

However, if you're looking at the older coaches, then price-wise the older coach with the 8V92 engines are considerably cheaper. They do not get as good fuel mileage. That would be somewherer between 5.5-6.0 for the 8V and 7.5-8.0 for the S60.

To me, I love the sound of an 8V. It has a much throatier big engine sound. The S60 sounds more like it's "rattling".

The S60 will get up to speed more quickly than 8V, but my 8V was able to outrun some S60 coaches on the way of the Cajon Pass in CA on the way to a rally, so they will perform just fine.

All in all, I think it's personal choice. You can get some mighty fine deals on an older coach with an 8V engine. I've been told to stay away from the very early S60 engines (around 95) because breakage issues.

Ray

Joe, as far as my technical capacity, I am capable of general maintenance. I would not be one to want to pull the head on the engine or any other component that would require a degree of expertise.

Tony,

Welcome to the POG ! Ask questions, and you will get answers.
    There is nothing wrong with 8V92 engines.
    Did you found your dream bus already ?
    Usually bus with 8V92 will be priced about $30k less than S60, because of
    the older technology.

Alek

To follow up to Joe's question. I have not owned an RV. This is uncharted territory for me and I am trying to come up to speed quick.

Alek, I have not found a coach yet that appeared to meet our needs, but I have been very cautious due to my level of education on the matter. I am trying to immerse myself in the subject and learn what I can. I found the POG forum to be extremely interesting and informative.

Personally, I tend to reduce this to a cost issue. It only comes into play if you're looking at coaches older than 96 or so. If you're in that market segment, then I certainly wouldn't write-off an 8V coach.

If you're looking at around the 95 year, I would hesitate on a S60. There was some recall, having to do with thrown rods or something in the early S60's that would make me think twice. Someone more familiar with that issue can chime in.

If you're looking at 97 or newer, then they only come in S60's, so there's no choice here either.

Personally, I started with an older 8V coach, and upgraded a couple of years later. The first two years were great learning experience, and I was able to sell my first coach for what I originally purchased (no I didn't recoup the money I'd put into maintenance and repairs). By then (1) I knew I was going to continue on with a bus, and (2) I had a much better idea of what I wanted, what converters etc.

Ray

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

If you had enough to get a 60series bus I think I would go that way. I have an 8V mechanical and it still runs great but it is inferior to the 60series. The difference in the up front costs will certianly come back to you in fuel costs alone.

A side from what powerplant, IMO the 3 biggest selling factors are floorplan and interior design and paint sceme.

The difference in the up front costs will certianly come back to you in fuel costs alone.
    I don't necessarily believe that.

Take an average RV, driven 7500 miles per year.

S60 at 8mpg = 973.5 gallons per year
    8V at 6mpg = 1250 gallons per year

That's a difference of 276.5 gallons per year.
    At $4.00/ gallon, that's a fuel cost difference of $1106

To offset a $30,000 price difference, you're looking at almost 28 years to recoup!