Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Tank Sanitizing ?

Question Water Tank Sanitizing ?

Couldn't find a better to place to ask this question?

The 160 gal fresh water holding tank, does anyone sanitize the tank?

If so, how often do you sanitize, and what is the proper procedure for this?

New bus and all, I am trying to get everything in order for our first two week outing, the first of April.

Thanks in Advance?

Gary S.

About every six months to a year I add about 2 to 3 cups of Chlorox to my tank while I am filling it so it gets mixed pretty good.

I then open all taps until I get a strong smell of chlorine from each, including the shower and toilet.

I let it sit for about 1/2 hour, drain everything, and then refill with fresh water. I then run water through all taps again to flush the lines. I also change filter elements when I do this.

I have no idea if this is the way to do it, but I do know that it is likely going to kill any bugs that are in the system. Despite "sanitizing" like this we still bring water from home that we know is pure for coffee and ice cubes, etc.

dalej Guest

Gary,

We bring along RO water when we travel, for drinking.

For what it's worth, I have added clorox once since we have owned ours. If you are going to let your bus sit, which you had better not, for two to three months at a time, It's a good idea to just drain your fresh water.

If I have drained our water, when gettng ready to leave home I fill our tank and while filling I purge all the water lines and smell the water that is coming out. Don't forget to purge your sprayer at the kitchen sink, it's usually the most neglected line. It usually has had hot water used in it last and it will go sour.

The ratio that you want is 1/4 cup of chlorine bleach for every 15 gallons of water. Jon must have done the math 'cause that comes out to roughly 2 1/2 cups for a full 160 gallon tank.

The contact time for the disinfectant mixture is based on the concentration, in this case a couple of hours ought to do it.

I avoid drawing this mixture into the hot water heater, as it is somewhat corrosive. Probably not enough to be a concern, but I just can't bring myself to do it while looking at what has to be removed to replace the hot water heater some day.

I agree with the other comments. I have also seen written procedures that said to add the chlorine, fill the tank about 3/4 with water and drive a short distance to let the water thoroughly wash the tank. Then drain and rinse the lines and tank.

I usually do mine about once a year, but we don't drink the water from the tank. Of course, we do brush our teeth and shower, so I guess it makes sense to keep it sanitized to some degree. On the other hand, I've never heard of anyone getting sick from showering from their fresh water tank.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Thanks for all the replies to my Santizing Water Tank. All very helpful.

Has anyone used the Thetford Fresh Water Sanitizer? http://www.thetford.com/Home/Product...3/Default.aspx

The reason I question the clorox method, is will it damage other in line water filters or fittings, and if it actually leaves that much of a taste to it, is that the solution? Sorry just full of questions.

I found this on the Internet and thought I would pass it on: The way I Sanitize My RV's Fresh Water Tank.

"A friend and fellow full time RVer, Bill Randolph told me how he uses something other than household bleach which works well for him and I also started using it. I think is worth passing on to you. Before he retired, Bill spent twenty years in the swimming pool business. He's an expert when it comes to sanitizing swimming pools and spas and says the same rules apply to RV fresh water systems.

Bill uses Chlorinating Concentrate (Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetricone or Sodium Dichlor for short). Sodium Dichlor contains 62% available chlorine. Compare that to household bleach which has something close to 3%. One pound of Sodium Dichlor is equal to 8 gallons of bleach! Also, household bleach contains other stuff, including a lot of salt, and that salt and other stuff is what causes the bad taste and why you have to flush the fresh water tank so well.

Bill says it takes only 1 teaspoon of the concentrate per 100 gallons of water to initially sanitize the system. Remember to run water through all the faucets. After that, just a half teaspoon per 100 gallons with each refill will keep the tank fresh.

Like most of us, Bill travels with a near empty tank to reduce weight so when he arrives at park where he plans to stay for a while he drops a half teaspoon of the concentrate into the fill tube and fills his water tank. This insures the system will always be sanitized.

This is not a case where more is better. This stuff is concentrated and it's best to use just what Bill recommends.

Because Chlorinating Concentrate is so highly concentrated you only need to carry a small container. And it is dry crystals so there is less chance of a spill. However, because it is so concentrated it is highly corrosive so you do have to be careful how you store it and use it. You should be able to find Chlorinating Concentrate at any pool supplies or spa store. Bill says there are several brands to choose from."

See you guys soon.

Gary S

Like most of us, Bill travels with a near empty tank to reduce weight so when he arrives at park where he plans to stay for a while he drops a half teaspoon of the concentrate into the fill tube and fills his water tank. This insures the system will always be sanitized.
    So do I understand correctly, that in this case he puts the stuff in, and uses the water with it in? Unlike Jon's (and others) method where they sanitize, and then rinse, and refill?

Ray

Default Keep It Simple

Gary, listen up. This is one of those deals that can be real simple, or, real complicated, and you just have to choose which way you want to go.
    You most likely won't be drinking or even making coffee with your on board water. Still, you want it to be pure enough to drink if need be, so some precaution should be taken. The easy way is what Jon suggested and what most every other experienced RV'er does. We do it about once a year. I am also careful about where I fill the tank, preventing a problem before one starts.
    I'm sure ole "Bill" that is spoken about in your post is a fine guy and very experienced in keeping his fresh water tank nice and clean, but man that is overkill. Anyway, like I said, make it easy, or, make it complicated.
    Dang, Gary, the Bourbon is gona kill the critters anyway.
    See You guys in Tenn.

Ted,

Correct me please, if I'm wrong, but doesn't the "Bill" approach seem easier? Put in 1/2 teaspoon of "stuff" every fillup? Seems pretty easy, as compared to remembering to sanitize once-per-year, then drain, flush, refill etc?

Perhaps I'm missing something?

I'll agree, I probably don't want to drink this water much in either case, but in thinking about it, I have water in the door in my fridge, which also makes ice cubes. That water comes in via the fresh water system.

Ray

I don't think so, Ray. I'm thinking about the times when I'm hooking up in the rain, or at night, or when we're in a hurry for whatever reason. I think fooling with putting a teaspoon of "stuff" down the hose every time I hook up would be enough of a pain that it wouldn't get done half the time. The once a year deal is really anywhere from eight to 12 months and for me is done in one of those times when I have time to catch up and do whatever it is that I have been putting off for awhile. Not a matter of remembering to do it, it's just one of those deals that gets done every so often when the time to do it is available.
    Truthfully, if a person only fills up with "city" water and does so every month or so, sanitizing the tank is an exercise for peace of mind.
    I've owned motorhomes for twenty five years and have never run into anyone who has become ill from the water in their coach. Sure, it could happen, but what I do is simple, it works and I've never felt the need to complicate the deal.