Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adding Electric Water Heater

dalej Guest

I'm just thinking that the coolant tank is for engine coolant isn't it? There is no reservoir to hold domestic hot water is there?

Isn't this just an Insta-hot? either electric or diesel for the purpose of heating domestic water.

It is also used to heat engine and interior heat exchanger coolant.

My wabasto heats only coolant to circulate in the engine, heat exchangers and hot water heaters.

I thought the only thing they added was a coil for domestic water to pass through in order to deliever hot water to shower and do dishes.

I was thinking Lee didn't have enough hot domestic water with just the electric elements on. I would also check to make sure the one or two electric elements are working good.

VegasDogMan Guest

Project is on hold....

Did some checking today and found that the High Limit thermostat (in series with heating element) is OPEN. Called Vehicle Systems and they said I could press the reset button on the thermostat.

Opened the unit again, found the reset button and IT WAS MELTED. Evidently there was an overheat problem at sometime.

Have ordered new limit thermostat and will see what the results are before going further..

Also will investigae Hot/Cold mixture and see what the situation is there.

Hey, you guys are a wealth of info.

Thanks..

Lightbulb

Don't buy any tools, your wife will use that against you!

Complete closed system. All heat is done by transfer via exchangers, coils, etc. Prior to mid 2004, they used regular anti-freeze (green). Due to a concern of contamination to fresh water through the heat exchanger coils with anti-freeze, they changed to Boiler Anti-Freeze. Boiler Anti-Freeze is pink in color and not to be confused with the pink stuff you put in your water system to winterize. It's hard to find and I have a gallon in stock if anyone needs it.

There is no mixing of the engine anti-freeze and the Aqua-Hot internal anti-freeze.

VegasDogMan Guest

Jim C;

Speaking of tools - I'm in proces of updating my tool box. Just got complete set of Metric Sockets and Metric Open-End/Box combination Wrenches.

Now I'm having trouble finding a Metric Crescent Wrench and Metric Hammer.

VegasDogMan Guest

The Hydro Hot uses Propylene Glycol as a coolant/heat transfer media. Coolant circulates through the radiators and heat exchanger tank where water passes through copper coils and absorbs heat from the coolant.

Only hot water reservoir is in the coils in heat exchanger tank.

The Hot Water Output temperature is lower than the Coolant temperature. That is adjusted by a mixer valve on the hot water output by adding cold water.

New things to learn and adapt to...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Peggy Stevens View Post
    Larry W., thanks for the insite into the Hot / Cold water system in the Aqua Hot systems. I had to send your information on to a friend of mine that is complaining about his 04 CC Magna, and their cold showers.

I am sure he will appreciate your insite to this problem.

Thanks from both of us.

Gary S.
    Gary,

I learned a little trick from JDUB @ Santa Fe rally about the Aqua Hot. When the CG water is very cold try filling your fresh water tank about 24 hours BEFORE you shower. Turn the heating thermostat in your bay up to about 70degrees and let the CG water warm up to about 70 degrees; this will give you a longer hot shower. The Aqua Hot can warm up water about 45 degrees; so 45 degree water coming out of the ground can only be heated to about 90 degrees, which makes for a cool shower. I tried this method of advanced filling and it works great.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDogMan View Post
    Jim C;

Speaking of tools - I'm in proces of updating my tool box. Just got complete set of Metric Sockets and Metric Open-End/Box combination Wrenches.

Now I'm having trouble finding a Metric Crescent Wrench and Metric Hammer.
    Lee, there's a tool shop near by, and I can get your tools special made!. The only thing is there really expensive, and the guy wants to be paid up front. So if your interested just post your credit card no and I will order them for you. Oh, by the way he has a real neat metric level and hand saw, interested??