Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sway Bar Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by GSwaim View Post
    What is PITA?
    Pain in the ass

I noticed that the large rubber D bushing on the driver side of the torque bar is working itself out. I plan on a sledge and a long 2x4 and see if I can get back in. Have not formed a plan how to keep it in yet. Any one address this before?
    Royale 2001 IFS
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

I think you need to remove or loosen the mount that the rubber sits in for it to go back in place.

That makes sense, the machine is stored up in Georgia now and an trying to think how to keep it from moving again
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Settin at Prevost, Nashville waiting till the morning when they are going to install new Sway Bar bushings. I'm going to go with the OEM rubber style instead of Neoprene unloess someone can tell me that the plastci are better than rubber. I had plastic but they crumbled and fell out. Unfortunately I have no idea how old they were but the bus is an 02 with 65K miles. Anyone have experience with rubber vs Neoprene?

I'll be curious to see how this goes. In doing my walk around the bus on Friday before we left for Dallas, I noticed that the right front tire had some serious abnormal wear on the outer edge. I got to Dallas late Friday but had the bus over to a tire shop on Saturday where I discover that it appears the sway bar bushings are shot as well as the upper control arm bushings which may have caused the wear because of too much camber.

So now I get to replace them all, buy a new tire and have the front end alligned. I thought I had heard the sway bar rattle, but didn't think the bushings would be shot at 80K miles.

Jerry, it's my opinion that the sway bar will not effect the tire wear but the A-arm bushings will. Sway bar bushings are easy, the other is not!
    Last edited by Kevin Erion; 06-02-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Jerry,I would think that when the upper a arm bushings are replaced that the camber will be correct.

When camber adjustment is needed, shims are installed between the A arm and frame on the mounting bolts.

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GSwaim View Post
    Settin at Prevost, Nashville waiting till the morning when they are going to install new Sway Bar bushings. I'm going to go with the OEM rubber style instead of Neoprene unloess someone can tell me that the plastci are better than rubber. I had plastic but they crumbled and fell out. Unfortunately I have no idea how old they were but the bus is an 02 with 65K miles. Anyone have experience with rubber vs Neoprene?
    Neoprene is a synthetic rubber developed by DuPont back in the 1930's. Most "rubber" bushings used in suspension applications are of this type material, polyurethane replacements have been giving better service life in truck applications, but at a slightly higher initial cost.