Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sway Bar Bushings

Thanks Roadrunner, that helps.

Jon,
    I'm a hands on kind of guy so your post was most valuable to me. I would be doing this work myself if I had my new shop set up with jack, stands and air. I enjoy working on my stuff so I'm hoping they will let me learn from them out there in Nashville. So many times they won't let you even watch from a distance claiming insurance reasons. Any thoughts?

Gary, I just looked at my records, and in 2008, I paid $41.80 for all 16 of the red poly bushings that I installed. That will give you some reference about the price of the parts alone.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Gary,

The last times I was in a Prevost shop they did not prohibit anyone from watching the mechanic. I have been in the NJ, FL, and the TN shops and all allowed the customer to watch the work.

The only time they prevented owners from being in the shop was in 1994 or 1995 when Prevost moved from the old shop on Wilson in Jacksonville to the present one. As soon as I was prevented from being with my coach to observe the mechanic I decided to never again allow that to happen and from that point on I have done my own work.

They have since changed that policy. BTW It drives me nuts when people claim they cannot allow anyone in the shop for "insurance" reasons. What a bunch of bullshit and lies that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    BTW It drives me nuts when people claim they cannot allow anyone in the shop for "insurance" reasons. What a bunch of bullshit and lies that is.
    Jon, please explain. If a customer happens to fall into a pit there can be some serious liability...

I have never been unable to be involved with the maintenance at Jacksonville or Nashville and Nancy has never left the bus while it's up on the lift with shore power connected. I think they do a fantastic job of allowing customers to watch and learn. You do have to use common sense and not drive them nut's. I set a chair up just outside the service bay door and stay out of the way, but they always allow you to look at work being done and interact where needed.

David, life is a risk. I have owned a number of shops ranging from a precast concrete facility with bridge cranes to my last one a 165,000 square foot facility with presses up to 300 ton and many fork trucks, finishing facilities, lots of welders and all kinds of hazards to the careless. Not a single insurance policy forbid me from allowing visitors in our buildings, either customers, sales reps, or any other invited guest.

As a policy we did not allow people to just go in the shop and wander around (unless they had to be in the shop such as servicing a machine) unaccompanied. Prevost is no different. I will guarantee you 100% of the people who have told me they don't let people in the shop for insurance purposes have never seen a policy much less read one.

Jon, I'll keep that in mind when Prevost asks me to leave the shop. I too have run a professional shop and understand the nuisance of customers that can't wait to ask a million questions. I just don't trust anyone with my stuff unless I'm there watching. There are too many shortcuts mechanics can take which doesn't meet my standards.

The only Prevost shop I've been to is the Jacksonville, Florida facility. They had no issue with me sticking close to the bus, watching the technician, and asking as many questions as I could think of.

In fact, I think the guy working on my bus actually appreciated that I was wanting to be "involved" in the process and cared about the hows and whys of the work being performed. The only problem I find is trying to find that balance of being interested and helpful without being either in the way or a PITA.

Good luck with your repairs...

What is PITA?