Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interior Wall - What Material

Hybrid View

Default Interior Wall - What Material

I'm removing the couch on the drivers side and converting to 2 chairs. In the process, I'm having a computer table made out of Corian and will be mounting it to the side wall. It appears to be Plywood. Anyone know the thickness and have any pointers for drilling holes for mounting screws? In looking at the newer shells, I believe the bus came with Plywood on the interior from Prevost.

The interior behind the couch is finished and appears to be wood behind the fabric.

IMG_2162_1.JPG

Hi Tom. With a stud finder, you can find the metal frame and drill and thread one or two metal brackets thru the plywood.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Lightbulb Be Daring

Tom, you can find out experimentally.
    In an inconspicuous area that you know will be concealed by the new table, drill a small hole and measure the thickness directly. Here's how.

The wall panel is probably some normal fractional thickness. Using that proceed as follows;

Mount a 3/32" dia. drill bit to protrude from the chuck the amount to just go through the fractional thickness of the panel you are guessing it to be. ( this prevents you from drilling anything behind the panel )

Start with 1/4" ( not likely, but safe ) ( WORK FROM A SMALL STICK OUT ON UP )
    Try, 3/8".
    Try 1/2"
    Try 5/8"
    Try 3/4", and so on until it goes through.

When the bit goes through, to check your finding, straighten a leg of a paper clip and bend the tip over and back tightly unto itself. (this forms a stop, and must be able to enter the drilled hole )

Insert the bent end of the paper clip into the drilled hole, and push it to the side at the same time as pulling it out of the hole. The bent part should catch and STOP on the back side of the panel. At that time make a mark on the clip shaft at the front surface of the panel.
    Remove the clip and measure the distance from the mark to the STOP.

That dimension is the panel thickness.

Tom,

Try to remove the bottom molding covered with carpet. Look for Phillips screws, they are in the carpet, but you can find them with your fingers. Inside of the box you will find some wires that go to the back of the bus. The plywood should be 3/8" or 1/2 ".

Alek

Hey Tom,

The area you are in is between the top and bottom longerons of the side truss. You should have both vertical and diagonal members behind the wall, and a magnetic stud finder should be able to locate them easily.

The panel is about 3/16 luan or equivalent so do not rely in it for any support.

If you want to do it the old fashioned way park the coach outside on a foggy morning and the steel members of the truss will show up in the condensation on the bus. You could get all your measurements from there, but a magnet will work, such as a compass.

Do you want us to do the work for you also?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't imagine the panel being Luan, it feels and sounds like heavy plywood.

Jon - I think the Luan came to mind as you were thinking about the 3 slide
    Winnebago of your dreams.

Default CC's Favorite Material

Tom,

Country Coach loves to use 1/2" particle board for non structual items. I think it comes to them with a thin white vinyl finish but...it is still particle board. No bueno to attach anything to, even with lag bolts.....find some metal.

John

Truk,

I was thinking of the unfinished interiors I have seen. But you have to decide how much strength you require. My dining table for example is secured to the steel framework. If you can gain support from the floor you may need almost no support from the wall. It just depends on the design and if you will depend exclusively on the wall for support.

win42 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Hey Tom,

The area you are in is between the top and bottom longerons of the side truss. You should have both vertical and diagonal members behind the wall, and a magnetic stud finder should be able to locate them easily.

The panel is about 3/16 luan or equivalent so do not rely in it for any support.

If you want to do it the old fashioned way park the coach outside on a foggy morning and the steel members of the truss will show up in the condensation on the bus. You could get all your measurements from there, but a magnet will work, such as a compass.

Do you want us to do the work for you also?
    If you find a magnet that works on 300 series stainless steel let me know, we have been looking for years.

Mine's steel. I don't think the SS started until the XLII or did they start using SS on the XL prior to the XLII?

The H3 has always had a stainless structure.