Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ultra-Sonic Detectors

Exclamation Three Co's Choose From

Quote Originally Posted by jimshoen View Post
    Brian,
    What brand of electronic stethoscope did the Snap On dealer sell you?
    How much did it cost?
    Jim, here are three electronic Stethoscopes, they are all a little different than each other, and by Automotive Specialty. Look down the link list to find them.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&hs=MAm&resnum=0&q=electronic+stethoscope&u m=1&ie=UTF-8&checkout=1&sa=X&oi=product_result&resnum=1&ct=ch eckout-restrict

Jim and jim,

JC, Thanks for jumping in. We were on the road and off the web. The Steelman 97170 is on the link you provided.

Jim S, This detector was about $100.00 from Snap-on so is priced way below the ultra-sonics. It will be fun to compare them at SV. I have been able to hear internal leaks in Norgren valves, also wind noise leaks on the front windows of our bus. That being said ????

Default New method for finding air leaks...

I was reading on another forum about locating air leaks. Here is a copy of what I read.

Yep, I have found some interesting leaks. One of the solenoid valves for the air op dump valve was leaking by, the check valve at the 120V compressor was leaking back, the actual cylinder seal for the air cyl for the generator slide was leaking.

The only thing that I have not accessed is the solenoids and piping for the air pocket door, and that's because you have to disassemble a number of panels in the closet to get access. It is next on my list.

I did run a rather interesting experiment. When the coach system was completely empty, I put a little R134a in the air system, and then pumped it on up with the compressor. Using my refrigerant sniffer, which is a sensitive little devil, I was able to find a few leaks that I had not detected with soapy water.__________________
    Richard Rhonda Ty and Alex Entrekin
    1995 Newell # 390
    Honda CRV toad
    CoMotion Tandem
    More hiking boots than Imelda Marcos
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

This is a copy of the PM that I received from Richard. It has some important caveats.

Re: Permission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure No problem. It will generate all kinds of comments of what the gas might do to the seals, but the truth is that 134a is quite inert. My degree is in Chemical Engineering, so I was pretty confident in putting a little 134a in the system. It doesn't take much.

Do also mention that the 134a was from a bulk bottle and contained NO lubricant. Using one of the auto store refill cans would also introduce some PAG or POE lubricant into the system and that is not a good idea, since those lubricants form acids in the presence of water.
    It does need to be introduced into the coach system. Meaning that if you use the quick disconnect at the back, it will put it into the brake system. I got better results breaking the piping at the aux compressor and putting it in there. Since there is a check valve at the aux compressor, it didn't leak out. I repiped the aux back in and brought it up to 90 lbs to sniff for leaks.

Also don't hesitate to use my email richard.entrekinATalconlabs.com , substitute @ for AT, for correspondence. It will be quicker than going through the forum.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I think that is an excellent idea and I'll bet it will shorten the leak detection process considerably.

If you pressurize the Aux air system exclusively with freon (use 134 or something cheap) and let it find its way to the leak the leak detector should be screaming by the time you get in the area of the leak.

This may be a dumb question, but the above implies there are special leak detectors for 134a?

Ray

Thumbs up The Cool Leak Detector

Tuga's discovery would be a quick and clean way to check out new air bags before installation.

Tuga, what's the deal, can't you get satisfaction from P O G? You shouldn't need any other discussion groups.

JIM

Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
    Tuga's discovery would be a quick and clean way to check out new air bags before installation.

Tuga, what's the deal, can't you get satisfaction from P O G? You shouldn't need any other discussion groups.

JIM
    Jim,

I read POG, prevost-stuff, and NewellClassic.com

I pick up good info from all three.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

wrongagain Guest

I tried a similar experiment with the ultrasonic leak detector I am selling on another thread.
    The leak detector has a noise generator option, which I bought.
    I made a 4" pvc pipe capsule with an air fitting adapter on one end and piped it into the system, and you could hear it thru the piping.
    Granted not as loud as when I put it in the bus and was under it looking for any potential critter holes, or trying to find the air whistle noise on the entry door,"which it did find".
    But it did work for all those jobs.
    As well as a stand alone leak detector.
    I dont know how sensitive the ones some of you guys are using are, but this one, for example, if you just slightly, just barely, rub you finger tips together it sounds like someone is rubbing to bricks together on top of your head.
    It found leaks I could not find with gallons soapy water.
    I was going to try my freon sniffer but this did it so I didnt bother, excellent idea though.