Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Oil

Default Engine Oil

I want to carry a few quarts of oil with me.

I noticed today from the invoice that Prevost used 15W30 when they did the Level 3 service on the bus two weeks ago.

It was suggested that I only use either DD 2 stroke 40 weight or Dello (sp?) 140 weight.

Comments or suggestions.

If they used 15W50 they need to compensate you for a fresh fill of straight 40 weight meeting the DD spec that is on your oil reservoir. I would verfiy it, and if they did in fact mess up you should get it changed on their nickel.

dalej Guest

And as soon as you can, you'll be blowing that light oil out pretty fast. I leave home with three gallons, and add 1 gallon per 1000-1500 miles.

I will call them this morning. Thanks.

They have 15w40 listed in the parts section of the bill and 15w30 listed in description.

Lloyd,

You are going to get a new oil change. Prevost will be paying for it. They know better.

Do not, repeat, do not allow anyone to put a multi grade in any two cycle engine. The 71 and 92 series engines have to have the 40 weight oil. If you have a series 60 detroit or a cat engine then the multi grade is correct.

Orren Zook Guest

Is anyone using synthetic motor oil in their coach? If so what brand or brands and did it perform as advertised?

Orren,

I doubt if anybody in this group can do a serious evaluation of lubricating oils unless they run a fleet of buses or trucks. Even then they would need controls on the test, such as running half the fleet on conventional oils and half on synthetic.

If somebody has run a controlled test and the synthetics are found to be cost effective I would bet the oil company would be posting that test result. Have you Googled it?

Quote Originally Posted by Orren Zook View Post
    Is anyone using synthetic motor oil in their coach? If so what brand or brands and did it perform as advertised?
    Orren,

I have used Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic 5W40 since I bought the coach (49,000 miles ago). I have a 1998 series 60 (500hp) and it doesn't burn any oil to speak of. I may add about 2 quarts every 6 months. It is very expensive, but I figure it is cheap compared to the cost of a new engine.

I have used Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic 5W40 in my other Newells (87 & 93) both had 8V92s and both ran fine. I put about 110,000 miles on each engine. Total mileage on each coach was around 160,000 when I sold them.
    The 8V92 did burn oil; I had to add it on regualar basis.

I never did send an oil sample off to be analyzed. I change my oil & filters at 15,000 mile intervals.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot