Thread: Fire Detector

Default Fire Detector

While spending a pleasant afternoon sitting on the ground, fine tuning my Webasto (its still broke), I looked up and saw something that I had never noticed before..... A Fire Detector. It's pretty far forward on the overhead in the engine compartment

What's up with that, is it heat, smoke or fire? Should it get a signal where is that signal sent, ECU? Looks to me like some kind of protected coil so logic would tell me that it detects heat...then what. Does it ring a bell somewhere?

Inquiring minds would like to know......

John

Flyman,

I think heat shuts down your Mo Jo. Jon will jump in, he's been there!

Default Stuck on the Railroad Tracks

So I would further assume that the button on the floor would be used to get off the railroad tracks, or over to the right side of the road.....must talk to the engine control Unit.

That may be one to stick in the back of the old brain (mine) because if it won't go, and the parameters for the ecu are met, oil temp, pressure and the other inputs (I should make up a list) then it could be a faulty fire detector. That would take Joe Schmukatelli's Mobile RV Service forever to figure out at 85/hr. Now I know the chances for that are somewhere between slim and remote but..........whoever heard of a Webasto "brain" failing from non use??

John

Jim_Scoggins Guest

Any chance you could post a picture of it?

Default Alarm Siren

FlyU2

The fire alarm siren is located up front in the dash forward of the passenger foot rest. I know because I got the sensor in the engine compartment wet once upon a time and caused the siren to go off and did not know what it was or what was causing it to sound. I was informed by Liberty the next working day that is was the fire alarm in the engine compartment. Once it dried out it quit sounding off.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Flyman,

That button on the floor gets you about 30 sec to get off the railroad tracks as best I can recall. It overrides the engine shutdown procedure to get you off the tracks or out of the parking lot at "girls, girls, girls."

Default A button in the thread

Truk,

I would use the button to get off the tracks but not so sure about the parking lot, may want to stay

I will post a picture of the thing but it is easily seen by getting down to battery and, in my case, Webasto level and looking up at the forward end of the overhead.

I also noticed that in the compartment under the drivers window, the electrical one with two doors (lets call that the e and e, electrical and equipment) there are provisions for fire extinguishers. Near as I can calculate, the only way you would ever get an engine fire would be diesel being sprayed on the business end of the turbo-crammer and that appears to be fairly well covered with some kind of no-mex fabric.

John