Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo Boost

Gary + Gary (Gary squared),

We will do our best to make it to Tenn. She does look good behind the wheel of that Newell. You should see the looks she gets when driving in city traffic!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Anytime I notice that I cannot get the RPM's to go UP under full throttle I ease out just a bit and let the engine find an RPM that it can hold without my foot on the floor.

Peter and Jon my friends, there are many who practice your technique probably more than not. I work with a bunch of dump truck guys who drive like that.

Petervs Guest

Hey Tuga,

Repeat after me:

" I pledge allegiance to the flag Of the Prevost Owners Group of America.

And to the cameraderie for which it stands,

One chassis vendor, over all others except maybe Newell,

With fun and education for all,

and I promise not to listen to truckers at fuel stops any more."

Hey, thanks too for letting me know about Cajun Peak, next time I am down there I will bring my ruler and look for it!

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise View Post
    Gary + Gary (Gary squared),

We will do our best to make it to Tenn. She does look good behind the wheel of that Newell. You should see the looks she gets when driving in city traffic!
    Tuga, Karen is a beautiful lady, inside and out, so of course she gets looks driving that rig By the way, you left out Bob's 99 H3 but that's ok, I can't even keep up with the man!

Hey Gary, any deal Bob can help Tuga with he will--no doubt he could find him a good one.....we need to get Karen behind the wheel of a Prevost so I say let's go shopping Tuga!!

Debi

Ah, excuse me boys (Jon & Peter), I think the trucker Tuga talked with is right and he makes a living driving probably 6 - 7 days a week and 120K while us ole farts might break 15K a year.

I for one, downshift on mountains and keep the rpm's high and don't use pedal to the floor. Just like the trucks do, gear it down to keep the rpm's up for cooling because on those real hot days, you could have a real problem.

Why stick the pedal to the floor, lug the engine down to 13 - 14 hundred rpm and watch the temp gauge works it's butt off while the fan cycles every couple minutes since your building serious heat! That fan also costs you HP and fuel as well.

My Pappy would have kicked my ass if I treaded a truck engine like that, give your Mo Jo a break and use the transmission....

This should stir up a S@)& storm....

Did we wake you Tom?

What part of my post said I lugged the engine? I downshift before the hill and go into perfomance mode to be able to keep the revs up instead of premature shifting in economy mode.

If I hold my foot on the floor going up Jelico Moutain I can hold 60 all the way up. The engine is singing, I'm making a nice speed, and the temps are nowhere near an issue. I am not going to let off the pedal because if I do I lose speed at which point I get back in line with the slow truckers who also lifted their foot.

Living in the Colorado mountains we are always going up or down hill. The DD owners manual states that on a long pull to select a gear that will pull the hill and then set the cruise control for the speed that works. This will always peg the boost meter at 30. Have not had heating problems doing this. The cruise not only controls the speed but also the fuel. Think the DD brain is smarter than I am about how much fuel to put to the engine. Seems I read somewhere that this will produce more horsepower than manually fueling the engine.

I think I'm only pulling about 25 boost on the H. Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Petervs Guest

Jon and Larry said it well. Thank you for defending my position on this. Amazing how often Jon and I see eye to eye, gives me a good feeling , actually. We really must meet in person someday. (Yes, we are working on making it to Spearfish)

The max boost I get does depend on a few things, like RPM, outside air temp, altitude, how long you hold the pedal down, etc. It does take a few seconds to reach max. I usually see 28 inches HG as a max.

MangoMike, if you do not get over 25 inches, you could have a leak in the plumbing. Could be the gauge plumbing or the engine intake plumbing between the turbo and the engine itself. There must also be a wastegate valve, if that is not closing all the way it will provide a constant leak and reduce max boost. Does the gauge read zero with the engine off? You can check that point on it's operating curve easily at least.

And, as to listening to truckers, there is a difference in the value of their opinions in my mind at least, depending on if you are talking to an OWNER operator, or just a hired driver who is running a truck where someone else pays the repair and maintenance bills.

I should have mentioned that I prefer to ascend a hill with the cruise control on as Larry mentions, but prior to the hill, just as the road is beginning to transition from level to an upslope I go to full throttle to start picking up momentum. Once I have my speed back down to my set point or below in the climb, I can lift from the throttle, because the cruise has taken over.