Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo Boost

Loc, Debi, & Truk,

Karen will be on her "girls trip" to Florida on the dates that we will be in Houston. I am really looking forward to driving that Millennium I hope that I don't get weak and buy one The more I think about it, I think that I would prefer a Liberty (it's easier to spell for one thing). Maybe Bob97/00/03/05 can help me find a good deal.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Tuga you should be proud of your uncommon insight into how to approach a grade.

It is a natural instinct to accelerate harder as the grade increases and the RPM's decrease and pulling a grade a couple of pounds of boost below max. at any given RPM is prudent weather coolant temps. are an issue or not.

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise View Post
    Loc,

Hope this helps you. I plan to be in Houston April 4,5, & 6th. If you are free maybe we could schedule a test drive!
    Wouldn't you know it....... We have a scheduled 2 week vacation starting April 4 with our GD, and ending in Beautiful Seivervill, TN.

Tuga, you are going to POG V aren't you, so I can meet you ( and give Karen a Hug ) and show you a real bus? If not, Guess you will have to look at LOC's.

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise View Post
    . Maybe Bob97/00/03/05 can help me find a good deal.
    I know BOB can help you find one, but a GOOD deal for who ?

Thanks for the kind words Joe, but I was told how to ascend a grade by a trucker in a Flying J.

Gary, we are going to try to make POG V. Don't be too harsh on Loc, I saw that Millennium at Birdland Coach Services - it is one fine piece of s.s. I am looking forward to seeing yours a.s.a.p.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Petervs Guest

Now who in their right mind would get advice on climbing a grade from Tuga? For crying out loud, he lives in Louisiana! The biggest grade is his driveway ramp to the sidewalk!

If you want to know how to climb a grade, ask someone from a state with mountains.

I routinely climb grades with the throttle floored. full blast all the way. No problem with overheating, towing, whatever. The Detroit was made to make horsepower and torque, not to be babied all the way to grandmothers house.

I have often climbed a 7-8% grade leaving Lewiston Idaho. One day I had just reset the ProDriver. We drove the first 12 miles or so at full throttle to the top of the hill, and averaged about 45 mph and 2.3 MPG. Makes you appreciate the 7.5 mpg on normal driving all the more.

I suggest from now on we ask Tuga only for advice on partying....ala MArdi Gras.

That's way harsh Brian. But come to think of it, I've only seen Karen driving.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    That's way harsh Brian. But come to think of it, I've only seen Karen driving.
    And wasn't Karen Looking Good behind the wheel of that "NEWELL" ?

Karen, we all look forward to seeing both of you in Tn.

Peter has it right in post #16.

What's the sense of carrying around all that power and torque if you don't use it?

I change into performance mode on the transmission so it won't prematurely upshift, and drop a gear as I approach the hill and slam my foot to the floor. If I could get the boost gauge to wrap all around itself nothing would make me happier.

C'mon girls.....boost equals power. The more the better. And the practical side is if you can't run up a long steep grade at max boost without overheating, it doesn't have anything to do with your turbo boost, but everything to do with the fact you have a radiator problem. All the turbo boost gauge is indicating is how much pressure you have in the intake manifiold, which is one indicator of how much power your engine is producing.

Hey we've got mountains in Louisiana; haven't you ever heard of Cajun Peak! It's 14.110 feet high and it's famous for auto races to summit.

Hey guys, I was just following the advice of a trucker in a truck stop. I figured he knew what he was talking about (guess he wasn't a POGGER).

Jon, I am going to try using the performance mode on the Allison next time we encounter a steep grade (better yet I'll tell Karen to use P mode!)
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot