Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup Camera

Default Backup Camera

I have a Panasonic VA 70 AV System in my coach, and everything seems to work fine except what I need most. The backup camera is extremely fuzzy and the picture rolls and fluctuates all the time. It is basically useless. Since the other screens work fine and are clear, I assume the problem is in the camera itself.

Does anyone know of anyone who repairs these systems? Is this something that I just need to remove and replace? The unit has its own radio, and the XM Radio, and my DVD run through this system.

I have included a couple pictures. The one of the color screen is out of focus, because I didn't want to use a flash, and I handheld the camera for a long exposure.

Should I just leave the system in place and get a new backup camera? Open for suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Dale,

If the monitor itself is sharp on other inputs, it's obviously something to do with the signal from the camera. It might be as simple as a bad connection in the incoming wire. I'd pull it out of the dash (or get behind it), and make sure that all incoming connections are solid.

If that end is good, if you can get at the backup camera, make sure connections at that camera end are solid.

It's certainly possible the camera has taken a dump, but I'd check connections first. If that doesn't pan out, if you can get a small portable monitor, and connect direct to the camera at the back, then you can tell if the camera is indeed the culprit.

Ray

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Did you try leaving it on for a while?

Ray, I will check the connections behind the main unit again and also see if I can get to the camera end. Has anyone ever pulled one of these cameras out of it place in the rear of the bus? I don't readily see how it comes out or how it is attached. It looks like it is glued in, and I am afraid I am going to mess up my paint trying to get it out.

Joe, I've only had it on for a few minutes at a time but I will try leaving it on longer and see if that gets it hot enough to work properly.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale,

That whole panel comes off, it's just held on with velcro. It's a rats nest of wires behind the panel, but at least you can check the connections. I think you can get to the camera connections through the rear closet without dealing with it on the outside.

Isn't a new bus fun!

How's this Ray?
    Last edited by truk4u; 03-05-2008 at 12:00 PM.

I think you can get to the camera connections through the rear closed
    Probably obvious, but if not, I believe Tom mean "rear closet".

Ray

Dale,

Had the same problem. Do as Ray said and check the connections first. If that does not correct the problem then you will need a new camera. Been there done that.

Denny

I looked at the camera on the outside and decided that it must be accessable throught he bedroom. There is a little access panel, and I pulled out the camera. It connects to a small box which I assume is an amplifier. I checked connections on both ends with no positive results. Even switched the input to Video 2 and it looked the same as V 1.

Denny, Did you find an exact replalcement for the camera? I am hoping to get something to go back in the exact hole.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dale farley; 03-05-2008 at 04:08 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale,

Do you have a little TV from home? If so, connect the camera output directly to your TV (bring it in the bedroom there), and see what the output of the camera is directly. If it's bad, you've got your culprit.

You can also take a portable camera (vcr type), and connect it to the unit, pretending you're the backup camera source. Look at the video on the display up front. Is that clear? If so, then the path from camera to display is fine, and your camera is suspect.

Ray

Ray, That sounds like a good idea if I can make my connectors fit. If I can really isolate it to the camera, then I don't mind getting another.
    Dale & Paulette