Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Interest to Pilots

Hector,

As you hang around the POG board you'll find that everything, (especially technical items) is scrutinized to the 10th power. Just roll with the punches as some of us have way too much time on our hands. Also to protect yourself from future comments use lots of terms like thing-a-machig, whatchacallit, and flux capacitor. Always my approach.

Keep posting.

Mike

Talking No Worries

Hector,

No worries on this one. I can appreciate what you, especially as a passenger and former pilot, went thru.. Been there, done that, even got the T Shirt and Hat!!

IMHOP, if the alternator shows a Charge at 1500 RPM, you are good to go. My airplane has switches to turn them on/off as well....I never touch them, unless there is an issue. Airplane batteries are puny little overpriced things, sounds to me like the battery took the load until it ran out of gas...you filled in the rest of the details.

All the best

John

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchasers View Post
    I would attempt an explanation, but I just say OK, for now (It has something to do with a split switch, one side of the split if for the alternator). Remember, I am not a current pilot (I flew actively 25 years ago.), so I am sure I am not representing the issue correctly. Sorry for the confusion, I was attempting to bring awareness to those how are pilots. I guess I had better to stick to land based vehicles.

Lesson learned? I had better Stick to the FACTS!

Hector

No problem over here Hector. I enjoyed the tale and took it at face value.

No matter what went wrong this one had a good ending!

I let Mango Mike shoot an instrument approach in my Bonanza using the Garmin 430 with the single yoke flipped over to the right seat. And he doesn't even have a pilot's license.

How hard can it be?

Default You said it all

Jerry,

That's the problem........

John

Jerry,

I hope you are baiting.....So far that takes the cake for dumb pilot stunts.

John,

I respect your opinion on singles. Having said that however, I too have had one catastrophic engine failure (as in parts breaking and leaving big holes through which oil drains) and two lost cylinders on two other occasions, one of which was after a missed approach at JHW in the climbout, and the other which necessitated an ILS to minimums at LBE. As a result in recurrent training I get real serious in the sim about engine out, dead stick approaches. All I can say is I do the best I can and take it real serious.

Hector,

The split switch is the master, and one side is the battery, and the other side is the alternator. The battery side is used by some pilots to start the engine, and with it running they switch on the other side to bring the alternator on line. Others flip them both on and start the engine. The Pilots Operating handbook for the 182Q model does not call for starting on the battery side only, but merely says to turn on the master.

After engine start it also does not specify anywhere in the procedures to cyce the alternator side of the switch. I think that is just a practice your friend uses that is not in the handbook.

OK boys...

There I was, 3000', turbulent, raining, night, TRW's in all quadrants, being vectored for the ILS to PDK. Weather was 300 and a half, wind 220 at 17, peak gusts 23, heavy rain. The ole Aztek was purring like a kitten. Crossed the outer marker, stuck in 10 flaps and dropped the gear. Rougher than a cobb and had to turn up the panel lights because of the lightning. MM went by all is good, went to quarter flaps and stayed there because of the turbulence and wind. Still in the goo, DH only another 300', then it happened!
    Port engine quit, gyro tumbled (the starboard vacuum pump quit enroute) and a bad case of vertigo set in.... Scroll down for the conclusion>

Then I fell of the chair and spilt my beer, the simulator crashed!

I hope you are baiting.....So far that takes the cake for dumb pilot stunts.
    Yep.

28 years of flying single engine IFR in my Bonanza. One alternator failure. One vac pump failure.

But I did have to pee real bad after a couple of those approaches.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

JDUB did stretch it a bit.

... I was actually using the 496

Mike

Jon,

You are spot on in your reply to Hector. Anytime one does something that is not in the AFM or POH he becomes a Test Pilot and without a Martin-Baker Ejection Seat or equivelent, I would say that is the worst job on the planet....not good for blood pressure, bowel habits or longevity, in ascending order!

Regarding singles, twins or whatever, the most important thing here is performance. You need an airplane that will do what you need it to do while keeping you in your personal comfort zone.....that's why the 182 is so popular. Easy to fly, adequate power and fairly roomy. Those of us on the Left Coast, where we have mountains, not hills, might want to add turbo-charger (s) and the like if we ever intend to play in the mountains. With multi-engine airplanes it is an imperative to look at single engine performance and ceilings.......the old Apache as I recall, had a single engine service ceiling of about 3500', no bueno if you are over the rock pile (rockies) at 13000' and shed an engine. I guess its really about trade off's and compromise.

In any event, those out there with airplanes, enjoy them....there as much fun, maybe more fun than the busses. Remember know your airplane, know your airplanes limitations and most importantly know your own limitations....and thank gawd you don't own a fling wing (that outta start something)

Standing down from Soap Box in Hyde Park...

John