Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Important Spare Parts????

I think the list of spares has to be personalized. What might work for a full timer might not work for someone who is out to a rally and then back.

There are obvious things everyone should carry such as belts, lights or bulbs, fuses and CBs, relays and miscellaneous common hardware items. I carry a tire plug kit, extra Schrader tire valves, and stuff that is always handy like velcro, double sided foam tape, RTV silicone adhesive, duct tape, nylon wire ties, extra hose clamps, and spare cabinet latches.

I used to carry a spare tire, spare brake chambers, and fuel filters. I don't any more.

But more because the bus is a convenient place to keep things together I have a Webasto control unit, the boards and a fan for an inverter, a spare blower motor for the Webasto heat exchanger, a fuel pump for the generator, and some wire and a collection of electrical terminals.

As important as the "stuff" I carry however are my tools. In addition to the various hand tools, probably the most used thing I carry is my multi-tester.

We all will tend to gather our own collection of stuff based on what we are capable of repairing while on the road, and what we have had fail in the past.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Include an air pressure regulator. 10 bucks and when they fail your dead in the water. If you carry one open the box and make sure you have the correct allen wrench to install the corresponding pipe plugs.

Strips cut from a bicycle tire inner tube tightly wrapped around an air hose with a leak, then covered with a tightened screw clamp, will often completely seal a leak.

How about a tire plug kit.

This all sounds very straight forward, but I think I will need an extra bay to accommodate every thing, and a computer inventory program to catalogue each item. I will add all of these items into one list and repost. Should be interesting. Thanks again.
    Last edited by 0533; 03-03-2008 at 06:41 AM.

At Sevierville we need a show and tell for spares and tools.

So far Jim Keller is my idol. He has a slection that makes Lew's True Value Hardware Store look miniscule by comparison.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I agree with Jon. Most tend to carry too much to start and as time goes on begin to thin things out. It happened in that manner on both the bus and truck with me.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Rubbermaid to the rescue!

My Bus 156.jpg
    Bottom is tools and hardware, middle is central spares and top is patio accessories. They "nest" on each other and stay put while underway.

My Bus 155.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 03-03-2008 at 07:16 AM.

dalej Guest

Joe, I just have to ask......WHAT is this doing in one of your bays???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

A stowaway.

dalej Guest

It just doesn't look like it has Debbie's name on it. I think that it was your idea to buy it. Joe you love that little statue, don't you.

Petervs Guest

I would like to add one thing to the list:

I carry a 12 inch section of hose for each of the 3 sizes of hose on the cooling system of the Detroit Diesel. Most of the cooling system is steel pipe, but these are joined with short sections of hose and clamps. I had one blow out a few years ago. Each 12 inch section can be cut ( if you have a tool for that!) to the length needed to replace a joint.

The local roadside truck repair guy was easily able to repair it, but he did not carry the correct diameter hose. It was difficult to locate on a Sunday.