Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hummer Uh Oh....

Hybrid View

I've also read stories on RV.net about persons removing the "safety cotter pins" in truck stops and rest areas.

So it's always good to take a quick gander at your hookup before hitting the road.

JDUB sometimes there is a price on "envy".

Mike

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jerry you have been through an experience that I know many have pondered.

So I'm curious. I have always been critical of the what I consider is the excessive length of the safety chains/cables.

The tow-bar we have I built and I have a few questions about your experience that may help in our eventual purchase and posible alteration of such thereafter.

When I built mine, having this concern I designed the chains with what I felt was just enough slack to give just enough free travel. I am of the opinion that if a pin failed as did yours it would be the safest design. If ours fails I would like to believe it will be evident in the camera but it may not due to the shortness in the length of the chains.

Do you have cables or chains? Can you be a little more descriptive on just how far out of whack it got when it failed. Knowing what you know now would you prefer a shorter set. If cables are you comfortable with continuing to use them, was there any visible evidence of stress?

Jim you are beautiful. Those are the pins that were originally supplied to the converter on ours for the collapsible rails on our roof deck when new. Only a few remained by the time it got to us I have been using bolts and nuts in their place and can now replace them.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 02-24-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Talking

Thanks Joe, Barb says I need face lift.