Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hummer Uh Oh....

I've also read stories on RV.net about persons removing the "safety cotter pins" in truck stops and rest areas.

So it's always good to take a quick gander at your hookup before hitting the road.

JDUB sometimes there is a price on "envy".

Mike

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jerry you have been through an experience that I know many have pondered.

So I'm curious. I have always been critical of the what I consider is the excessive length of the safety chains/cables.

The tow-bar we have I built and I have a few questions about your experience that may help in our eventual purchase and posible alteration of such thereafter.

When I built mine, having this concern I designed the chains with what I felt was just enough slack to give just enough free travel. I am of the opinion that if a pin failed as did yours it would be the safest design. If ours fails I would like to believe it will be evident in the camera but it may not due to the shortness in the length of the chains.

Do you have cables or chains? Can you be a little more descriptive on just how far out of whack it got when it failed. Knowing what you know now would you prefer a shorter set. If cables are you comfortable with continuing to use them, was there any visible evidence of stress?

Jim you are beautiful. Those are the pins that were originally supplied to the converter on ours for the collapsible rails on our roof deck when new. Only a few remained by the time it got to us I have been using bolts and nuts in their place and can now replace them.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 02-24-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Talking

Thanks Joe, Barb says I need face lift.

Joe,

I was using safety cables and they are of sufficient length that the Hummer was grossly misaligned with the coach centerline, but not yet far enough out of line that I could see it in the mirror. I would only make them long enough to allow the toad to turn without them getting tight.

I did not have the break away brake cable on and I have to believe if it had applied the breaks when it came partially loose I might have had a rodeo on my hands. Any thoughts on that?

After a little reflection, I can only surmise that either someone removed the pin while the Hummer was parked at the mall in OKC or as we were underway just north of Houston on Thursday night, I ran over what appeared to be a front airdam or plastic shroud from a car that was laying in the center of the road. By the time I saw it (it was black) it was too late to avoid it. If it rolled up just right as it exited the duals / tag axle, it could have hit the bottom of the safety pin and jarred it loose.

But the Hummer came loose about 20 miles north of OKC, so I have to think that someone may have helped us out.

I think I will reinstall the adapter with some Grade 8 bolts and self locking nuts when I get back home. That or replace the pin with a small lock.

I have to think the bigger oh $hit would have been not seeing it and hitting the brakes for the first time and having the Hummer whack into the back of the coach. That would have left a mark.

Default Brakes on the Toad

I think JDUB's experience again highlights the need for brakes on the Toad. If he had a complete failure of the tow bar then stopping suddenly, with just the safety chains/cables towing the vehicle, could have been catastrophic. It would, at least, caused serious damage to the rear of the bus and the front of the Hummer.

I don't mean to be critical but a "pre-fllight walk-around" is in order every time before we begin driving even if it is a short stop. My experience as a pilot and an ex-truck driver (I'm an "EX" in a lot of things, including husband) won't let me take off at anytime without checking the tires and connection of my towed vehicle. I am sure all you pilots, JDUB included, check their aircraft thoroughly before departure. My way of remembering came from my 1st flight instructor and I have never forgot it, I touch every item as I inspect it. When I stop, even for just a short time to exercise my legs, part of my 'pre-flight' on the bus is to touch every one of the pins that connect the Toad to my coach and to make sure the safety cables are in place and the Brake-Away cable has the proper slack.

I like to idea of using the bolt attachment (case-hardened?) or locks JDUB is going to install. I use the padlocks from Roadmaster on 3 points of my tow rig. 1 is at the bus pin attachment and I have 2 on the Toad.

Finally, Jerry, I am very happy this did not have an ugly ending for you and your family. I don't mean to 'pile-on' with my comments above, I write just to share my experience and hopefully help someone else from going through what just happen to you. My bet is that you will never have this problem again.

GOOD JOB JERRY,it would be hard to match the paint on your bus.

Default Good ending

JDUB, Sure glad this story had a good ending. I have happened upon motorhomes on the interstate that have lost their toads. Not a pretty site. Ruined vehicles, insurance claims, ruined trip etc. Last year enroute to Myrtle Beach a guy lost his and it turned over totaling his car. Fortunately it went to the shoulder rather than across the median into oncoming traffic.

Thankfully that was not the case here. Have heard of hitch pins getting pulled at various stops, I try to make it a habit to check it if left unattended.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

We had the exact failure with a Roadmaster tow bar that Jon had. The locking pin spring either broke or fell off. In fairness to Roadmaster, the tow bar had something over 200,000 trouble free miles on it. We were only about five miles from the RV place that had sold me the set up years before and had transferred it to our current jeep about six months before the failure. When we pulled in to their service area, the service manager came out and looked at the tow bar. He turned and said to me, "pull the pins and take it off while I get a new one." He said Roadmaster would take care of them and had us back on the road in about ten minutes, no charge. How cool is that. Hayes RV in Longview, TX. They sell plastic coaches and trailers but they are a first class outfit.