Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ifs

Just Plain Jeff Guest

No sleeping. I was busy providing certain POG members' email addresses to a friend in Nigeria who is looking to park big money in the U.S. Maybe we could use that to get Jim C a camper?

I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to the CC guy. But isn't it time for your nap?

Just Plain Jeff Guest

No, actually what I do during the day is what you call w-o-r-k. But in the foto, if a guy would look carefully, one might find some flat spots on the tires on the Toad. How about an updated explanation of that...again?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Jeff View Post
    No, actually what I do during the day is what you call w-o-r-k. But in the foto, if a guy would look carefully, one might find some flat spots on the tires on the Toad. How about an updated explanation of that...again?
    WOW, way harsh. JPJ, are you out of firewood? Does this happen every winter? I'm thinking a sun lamp might help. Somebody do something. I'm calling 911.

I have driven 110,000 miles with a straight axle and 7,000 with an IFS. The ride quality is pretty much the same except when you encounter really rough roads and then the IFS is a little better. The biggest difference is the turning radius. The new 45 foot with IFS feels like it turns tighter than the old 40 foot with the straight axle. I wouldn't let a straight axle be a deal killer. Both ride really good.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

doodlebug45 Guest

Thanks Loc. Glad somebody on this site is serious. Looks like the "girls" got off on a mud slinging tangent and forgot the original question. Oh well! What's life if you can't stick it to your friends every once in a while.
    Hugh

Doodlebug, your question was answered, and then we encountered a little ruckus from the peanut gallery. He had to be dealt with.

As to the way harsh flat spot remark, all I can say to that guy, is if he is going to post a picture of a bus wheel, you would think he would have made an effort to polish some of the corrosion off of it. But I guess the Mother's Polish will have to thaw out for that to happen.

Default Time Slips away

Hey, isn't that photo of JPJ back when he still had all his fingers?
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Awright, the dread thread creep happened.

On chassis year 2000+ H3-45 coaches, there were significant problems with the IFS system. Due to all the moving parts, Prevost did a 'quiet' recall and redid as many coaches as came in. The job involved a lot of re-welding and fitting of new parts. These coaches chewed up a whole bunch of front tires.

If you had such a coach, you wouldn't have to look hard to find if there was a problem as the damage to them was very obvious in a short period of time. We bought some of those returned tires from Doug Stolfo when he was at Camp Prevost and put them on our Angola on the drives and they turned out to work very well in that application.

As Jim Scoggins noted, there are lots of moving parts in an IFS system. Simple is good.