Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat Belts

[QUOTE=Petervs;24424]I have a 94 marathon with ISRI drivers seat, it has a lap belt. The passenger seat is an extra wide, flexsteel brand or some such with tilt, recline, and leg support. It too has a lap belt.QUOTE]

We have the same setup like above in our 96 Country Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I don't know the law, but I do know all the conversions I have ever seen had lap belts for the driver and front seat passenger. I suspect yours may have been removed.

I have never seen or heard of a coach with shoulder belts and I wish I had a shoulder belt.
    Good morning Jon,

I think you are probably correct about this. I will do some research on the law and get back. Joe suggested we contact a commercial coach company and ask what the laws are in the 50 states.

[QUOTE=Alek&Lucia;24434]
    Quote Originally Posted by Petervs View Post
    I have a 94 marathon with ISRI drivers seat, it has a lap belt. The passenger seat is an extra wide, flexsteel brand or some such with tilt, recline, and leg support. It too has a lap belt.QUOTE]

We have the same setup like above in our 96 Country Coach
    I think Jon is correct, and the owner either didn't want them, or had them removed. I just had the floors done last week. They sent me pictures of the entry way without the drivers and passengers seat and center console to show me before and after, both without the seats etc. I see no evidence, traces of holes, tie downs etc on the floor for lap belts.

Default Crashing

I have a 96 Marathon, it too has an IRSI and a lap belt. You almost have to wonder though, being as your face is about a foot from being the forward part of the vehicle, how much protection is being offered. It might just be holding you in place while you get munched! If a severe collision was imminent you might be better off bailing out of the seat and moving you body further to the rear.

I guess either way you are really going to mess up the wax job you just spent hours on

Quote Originally Posted by jello_jeep View Post
    I have a 96 Marathon, it too has an IRSI and a lap belt. You almost have to wonder though, being as your face is about a foot from being the forward part of the vehicle, how much protection is being offered. It might just be holding you in place while you get munched! If a severe collision was imminent you might be better off bailing out of the seat and moving you body further to the rear.

I guess either way you are really going to mess up the wax job you just spent hours on
    I think this concept might be like jumping up into the air just before the run away elevator hits the bottom floor.

Exclamation Wear Your Seat Belt, The Odds Are With Them

Even though you "imagine" that seat belts wouldn't help there are instances where they would. Accidents happen when you least expect them.

One example might be, entering unexpected heavy fog on the highway, and you slow down a lot as you panic and disappear into the fog. The truck following you, still going full speed, rear ends you and with the belt you don't go out of the window.

Joe,

You are right... the lap belt on the ISRI seat is connected to the seat bracket, keeping it snugly in place, and then a secondary strap attaches to the floor.

The lap portion of the belt assembly doesn't move once secured and "rides" with the action of the seat. Essentially, the lap belt keeps the driver attached to the seat and the restraining straps keep the seat from leaving the floor.... at least in theory....

Hopefully, I'll never test the system!

I will defer to the engineers in the group, but I would reckon if you got rear ended you would be forced back into the seat as the bus went forward, so you wouldn't go out the winder anyway.......

I am more likely to be worried about belting up in a car, I can see where that could do you good, and keep your carcass lined up with the airbag..

Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
    Even though you "imagine" that seat belts wouldn't help there are instances where they would. Accidents happen when you least expect them.

One example might be, entering unexpected heavy fog on the highway, and you slow down a lot as you panic and disappear into the fog. The truck following you, still going full speed, rear ends you and with the belt you don't go out of the window.

Petervs Guest

Hi 0533 Pam and Bruce,

My Marathon coach was built by Marathon to use as a demo coach, it was built to their specs, not some customer's. It was the first one they did that was 45 feet and had the Series 60.I believe the seat belts were original equipment.

I always thought Marathon was a little funny about how they wanted to retain separation between the Prevost part and the Marathon part as far as technology and equipment went. they tried real hard not to mess with wiring, pneumatics, etc that Prevost had built, rather they just added their stuff over and above. This has made troubleshooting relatively easier I think.

I suspect some previous owner of your coach removed the seat belts. And I think they could easily be reinstalled. There may have been carpet replacement that covers up the mounting holes?

Hi 0533. My Liberty has lap seat belts and I feel vulnerabele when not buckled. My previous plastic Coaches all had Shoulder type belts as well as belts for all couches and seats.
    I just don't feel safe w/o my belt buckled. Beats me how much protection it gives.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide