Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat Belts

Default Seat Belts

When I took my first test drive in my current coach I was surprised to find that there were no seat belts for both the driver and passenger. It felt awkward to me and frankly unsafe not to have them. The folks at Marathon said they are not required.

What is the deal, are busses exempt, and have any of you installed them aftermarket? accidents do happen.

And of course they certainly do not exist in the seating areas, sofas, dinette etc.

What are the laws in various states in this regard? I envision getting pulled over for speeding and the officer notices I do not have a seat belt on and gives me two tickets. I try and explain that buses don't have them, he gets ticked off and gives my wife one too.

What experiences have you all had in this regard. I thought for a moment that the original owner had them removed, and I was a sucker for not checking this out before I bought the coach.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

It will be interesting to see the responses here.

Our 86 has ISRI seats and do have the lap belt and no shoulder belt. None for the house seats and I can tell you with certainty there never was.

We had a 86 Class-C Coachman and it had a belt for EVERY seat location in the camper that never got used were gathered up below the seats in the storage areas collecting dust, till I unbolted and removed them

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cannarozzi View Post
    It will be interesting to see the responses here.

Our 86 has ISRI seats and do have the lap belt and no shoulder belt. None for the house seats and I can tell you with certainty there never was.

We had a 86 Class-C Coachman and it had a belt for EVERY seat location in the camper that never got used were gathered up below the seats in the storage areas collecting dust, till I unbolted and removed them
    Hello Joe,

We have the ISRI seat as well. I could not find any belts, lap or shoulder, and no evidence there ever were any. Besides the potential safety issues, what about the law?

Petervs Guest

I have a 94 marathon with ISRI drivers seat, it has a lap belt. The passenger seat is an extra wide, flexsteel brand or some such with tilt, recline, and leg support. It too has a lap belt.

The sofa has three lap belts installed, and those ate tucked in the crevice between the seat bottom and back because nobody ever sits there when we drive.

The original two barrel chairs and the dinette area has labels under the windows stating that these seats are not to be used when the vehicle is in motion, installed by Marathon.

We use the lap belts all the time.

Our 2000 Liberty has seat belts for the driver and passenger only. The drivers seat belt is mounted to the floor (an ISRI seat) and the passengers' is mounted to the seat frame.

Irregardless of the "law", I would have them installed. This may also be of importance to your insurance carrier.

Hopefully, you'll never need them.......

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I'll betcha a good charter co. will know what the law is and the converters know the law regarding the house.

Paul having the belt mounted to the floor on an air ride seat is kinda weird. I've never seen that. Doesn't it snug you and slacken some when the seat is moving up and down on bad road? Both our ISRI have the lap belts mounted to the seat frame then there are secondary straps with slack that go from there to the floor.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 02-23-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    Our 2000 Liberty has seat belts for the driver and passenger only. The drivers seat belt is mounted to the floor (an ISRI seat) and the passengers' is mounted to the seat frame.

Irregardless of the "law", I would have them installed. This may also be of importance to your insurance carrier.

Hopefully, you'll never need them.......
    I agree Paul. I think that the laws in Oregon at the time might have allowed Marathon to do this, and maybe Illinois is different. I noticed that a new commercial seat belt law has taken effect in Oregon in Jan. 2008 that may effect this. Regardless I will be asking for seat belts. can't imagine not having them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cannarozzi View Post
    I'll betcha a good charter co. will know what the law is.
    Good idea. Jon will know the answer I'll bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Petervs View Post
    I have a 94 marathon with ISRI drivers seat, it has a lap belt. The passenger seat is an extra wide, flexsteel brand or some such with tilt, recline, and leg support. It too has a lap belt.

The sofa has three lap belts installed, and those ate tucked in the crevice between the seat bottom and back because nobody ever sits there when we drive.

The original two barrel chairs and the dinette area has labels under the windows stating that these seats are not to be used when the vehicle is in motion, installed by Marathon.

We use the lap belts all the time.
    Hello Peter,

I am wondering if your coach might have been, along with others customer requests as opposed to requirements. I'll bet that at least at Marathon (Oregon laws) they were not required. Of course this still does not explain the other 49 states. I plan on asking Marathon about this on Monday. After all how could they sell me a coach without seat belts if the law requires them? I just had Marathon replace the old TV in the salon, and had to meet DOT standards, welding it into place etc, paid dearly for this.

I don't know the law, but I do know all the conversions I have ever seen had lap belts for the driver and front seat passenger. I suspect yours may have been removed.

I have never seen or heard of a coach with shoulder belts and I wish I had a shoulder belt.