Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Tire Monitor systems

Jon,

The Pressure Pro Installation Manual FAQ page includes the following statement ref the use of equal:
    "CAN I USE A SEALANT OR EQUALIZER POWDER IN THE TIRE WITH PRESSUREPRO? It’s recommended to use a filtered Dill Valve if using sealants or equalizing substances. Sealant can plug up the valve core and shut off pressures in stems."
    When I purchased the system and asked the question about equal, I was told not to use either equal or internal tire sealants. I would suspect the sales folks were not aware of the existence of a filtered Dill Valve. Since the sensor is the only seal, I wouldn't feel comfortable with foreign material in the tire in any event.

The sensors screw on the inward facing valve stems easily and only require finger tightening. Remember that the lighter weight wheels used with 40 footers have large lightening holes. It may be necessary to rotate the valve stems on wheels with the smaller holes.

Thanks. I just did a tire check and timed it and it took about a minute. But I think the real benefit is if a tire goes down while driving. I just have to think this through because since I have been using the double seal fill through caps I have had to adjust pressures by a pound or two between trips and I hate to give up that feature.

The tire filling tool I use (bright red hose) is also my pressure checker and can be used without attaching an air hose for that purpose. I use no valve stem extensions and reaching the inner drive tire valve stem is easy.

I hate to go back to a single seal and have to carry around tools to remove the caps (sensors) although I suspect that is mitigated by being able to read pressures at the dash, and only those that need to be adjusted require attention.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default A Decision Made ....

So, after researching (again) the various possibilities out there, I've decided to get the Smartire internal mounted system.

It was a little hard to find any real information, as it seems the only US distributor is Dickman Tires in Junction City, OR. But, I got ahold of their inhouse expert, and I'm pretty confident in what I'm getting.

This is the system:

http://www.dickmantires.com/SmarTire/gen2rv.html

and they have a new optional display that I think really looks nice.

http://www.dickmantires.com/SmarTire...e_display.html

Price for 12 sensor (8 + 4) is around $1399. I'm just waiting to hear back from Marathon about installation. I'm hoping they will be able to install the electronics, and their tire service to install the sensors when I re-tire the bus.

I went back and forth about internal vs external, and almost went with the new Doran 360RV (I like the programmability of it), but in the end, I want internal sensors, and I really liked the round guage display option with Smartire.

So, now to "get 'er done"

Ray