Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire Monitor systems

Default Tire Monitor systems

I was looking at the current edition of FMCA, and the article on Tire Monitoring systems caught my eye. have any of you folks installed these systems? Which ones do you like the best. Here is a list from the magazine.

1. Advantage PressurePro LLC.

www.advantagepressurepro.com

2. SmartTire Systems Inc.

www.smarttire.com

3. HCI Corp.

www.tiresafeguard.com

4. Fleet Specialties Co.

www.tiresentry.com

I saw a demonstration of the following:

http://mobileawareness.com/products....oduct_cat_id=5

The selling point was they do not have to be removed for airing the tire and give pressure and heat reading.

I just bought the pressure pro and installed it last weekend.I could only find one dealer that would discount it, Doran MFG LLC at 800-681-5424.I bought the 8 sensors for the bus and 4 with the repeator for the toad.I have only driven the bus 50 miles so far and it works perfect.The sensors are very accurate,and I will try nitrogen in a tire soon to see if there is a difference.

dreamchasers Guest

Default Pressure Pro

I have used the Pressure Pro system for 3 years. I believe I was 'one of the first' to try the product. I used it on my Eagle and can only offer praise. I have never had any problems with the sensors or the receiver. After owning the system for a couple of years, I did purchase the repeater (It was not available when I originally purchased the system).

I am in the process of installing the system on my Prevost. It is very interesting to see the differences in tire pressures temperature will make. Also, the sun shinning on one side of the vehicle will also show a difference. Before I leave for a drive in the morning, I scan through the tires to see what the pressures are. With experience, you will see that checking the tires early in the A.M., when it is cold, will yield a different pressure than when it is warm outside.

The only warning I can offer is, beware of the early morning wake up alarm! The unit is pre programed to alarm +/- 12.5% of the pressure of the tire when the sensor is installed. For example, if you install the sensors with a static pressure of 110 PSI in Texas on a sunny afternoon. Then travel to Colorado and camp in the high country with typical mornings in the summer dipping into the high 30's or low 40's, the low pressure alarm will sound. I toad tires were the worst offender of the early morning alarms. The variation of pressure from the change in ambient temperature was vary informative. To eliminate the false alarms, I would simply unplug the receiver at night before we went to sleep.

I would definitely recommend the unit. The 'peace of mind' factor is worth it.

I monitored the rig and toad on a 40 foot Eagle (10 sensors, I need to get 2 more). The repeater eliminated any false alarms from the rear that I would get on very rare occasions. Without the repeater, when I stopped the rig, I would get a 'no signal' alarm on the left rear inside dual. As soon as I started to roll, the monitor would start detecting the sensor. The repeater solved that issue.

A good system!

Hector

Default SmarTire

The #2 website is www.smartire.com (only one T in the name). I have used this system for several years. I had it on two plastic coaches and when I bought my Prevost it was not on it. I was never fully at ease driving, not knowing what my tires were doing even though I checked them on every trip, stop, etc.

The SmarTire systems monitors pressure and also temperature. So if a bearing or other wheel/drive component is failing the temp will be monitored and you will be alerted prior to a major failure.

The sensor is attached to the wheel by a large hose clamp, thus the tires have to be dismounted, and the signal is received by a dash mounted monitor. The problem alert is a sound and a red flashing light on the monitor.

I believe this system is more expensive than the valve stem mounted types but I feel it is worth the extra $$ for the value received. I have used it for the past 8 years and would not be without it.

Denny

I have the tiresafeguard by HCI, The system works, it even told me when the valve stem cracked on both my inner duals. Since they both broke within 50 miles of each other I knew it had to be something new. I had just installed them prior to the trip to Aguanga,CA rally. We have all read the threads about inner wheel stem extension, so when you put something on the end like a monitoring device the likelihood of a stem failure increases. the HCI people are very friendly and helpful. If you contact Tim in thier sales dept you can get a POGGER discount. Just make sure you support that long extension. I will work on a extension like I have seen on some trucks using flexible extension attached to the center of the hubs.

One of the things that surprised me was the temperature and pressure changes will driving. Even to the point where you can tell what side the sun is on by the difference in temperatures.

Greg

Smile Pressure Pro for me

Picked up a Pressure Pro system at the SEA rally in Fl a couple weeks ago. Needed to keep the other half fealing safer and more at ease after haveing a left front blowout last Aug. Have been really pleased with the system, it's great
    knowing what the rubber is doing at all times. Did also get the repeater
    was told with the length of our coaches and thr amount of steel it was a good choise. Ditto the warning of the early morning alarm, just unplug it overnight. I think it would be a good choise!

I don't have a tire pressure sensor system, but if I were to get one I would use the type that has the band holding the sensor inside the tire.

If a system with an external sensor was to be used however, I would steal a page from Joe C's play book and add a dedicated valve stem (a straight short stem) 180 degrees opposed to the existing stem exclusively for the sensor. In that case there would not be any risk of fatigue failure of the valve stem, and the sensor, once installed and leak free would not have to be removed for tire filling.

You guys are great. So here is the analysis so far. Jon and Denny feel that Smartire is the best choice, Jon feels safer having the wheel band over the tire valve stem system, fatigue etc.

Bill, Hector and Jack are fans of Pressure Pro., which is a tire valve stem mounted system.

Greg purchased Tire safe Guard. Mentioned an issue with valve stem cracking. Question, what role did the system play in this, detected it, but did it exacerbate the problem??

Lloyd has a new solution, Mobile Awareness.

Question: How much do these systems cost? How difficult is it to install the Smartire system? Is there a way to install the valve stem system and insure its extra length and weight will not crack the stem.

I would prefer the easy route, as long as it improves the safety aspect, and does not create a new risk.

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce, The band type does not create or add any risk due to its design.

Any type with an external sensor on a valve stem has some potential risk, but with Joe's approach using a second valve stem he has minimized the potential.

In order for it to work, a sensor opens the Schrader valve so it can read the internal tire pressure. As a result you are totally dependent on the seal between the sensor and the valve stem. A secondary risk is the weight of some sensors has the potential to create a fatigue failure of the stem if the stem is long and has a bend.

But by putting in a second straight stem (or a bent one as long as it is very short) that risk is minimized. The sensor never needs to be disturbed to add air, and the valve stem for adding air has two seals, the Schrader valve, and the valve stem cap.

The question is always of relative risk versus cost versus ease of use or features.