Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Carriage

Tdelorme,

A respected word has it that Marcus Lemonis aka Freedom Roads LLC/Camping World was more interested in Featherlite's location and nothing more. He wanted to make room on the lot for an order of low-end units.
    It came to light that bus service and sales would revert back to factory. There would be no new sales/resales bus lot. Bus orders would only be taken by costumer request, no coaches built for spec.
    So, the deal is off.
    After speaking several years ago with Mr. Lemonis directly about his stance on certain RV issues, we avoid all Camping Worlds and afiliates.
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 03-06-2008 at 12:36 PM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Good information, Jim. Seems like there are always conflicting stories on deals like this, which is understandable. I do not know Mr. Lemonis or what his intentions were for Featherlite, but what you are saying makes sense. The Sanford, Fl. location is right on Interstate 4 with good visibility in a fast growing area. I'm sure CW would love to have had that property.
    Only time will tell how things work out for both companies. Featherlite certainly make a beautiful coach and I hope they are around for years to come. My views on Camping World mirror yours and Prevost service center or not, I'll take my chances elsewhere.

I'm curious about your dislike (hope that's not too strong a word) of Camping World? Although I never would take my bus there for servicing, I have purchased a number of products at the local CW, and prices are good, and generally they have the pieces I need.

Ray

gtoccalino Guest

::their website is not working and they don't answer their phone

Ray,

I like it for buying some of the crap we need and have been a Presidents Club member for many years. I only visit the store, not the nightmare called service.

Exactly what I do!! Always some good stuff you need to buy for these things!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    I'm curious about your dislike (hope that's not too strong a word) of Camping World? Although I never would take my bus there for servicing, I have purchased a number of products at the local CW, and prices are good, and generally they have the pieces I need.

Ray
    Ray, your question is a good one and I have thought about it for awhile before answering. I really don't dislike Camping World. But, I really don't trust CW when it comes to service of any kind on a recreational vehicle. Most of the members of this forum are long time RV owners who have a vast knowledge of their equipment and it's care and feeding. There are however thousands of new RV'ers every year who put their trust in the hands of incompetent service centers. The horror stories abound on other RV forums and they are not all about CW. I would like to know the percentage of new RV owners who bail out fast after finding that there is no one who can provide the service to keep their rig up and running.
    If you need potty chem or awning lights, they will serve your needs adequately, and we stop in one every couple of years. I don't think their prices are as good as my local RV dealer, and if WalMart has what you want they will have the best price.
    So I guess the bottom line for me with regards to Camping World is this. I wish they did a better job of doing what they do.

My impression was Camping World's Service Center was only used for installng the products they sold. The problem; There are so many different types of RV's and Manufactureres, there is no way to install a product the same way twice. Therefore, their Service center is always going to have challenges pleasing the customer. I think the customer is going to have to acknowledge some shortcomings when dealing with them.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

lewpopp Guest

I have belonged to Camping World since the beginning of time. I just recently let my Presidents membership lapse because their prices are always higher than elsewhere. If I do have to purchase something there in the future, I would join, but until then, you're right, I'll go to Wal-Mart and elsewhere to purchase little things.

I cringe when someone says they are going to( CW )or Lazy Days to get a motorhome.

Admittedly, as I mentioned in my question, I don't service at a CW. I've heard horror stories. HOWEVER, that seems to be a general theme these days. Whether we're talking Prevost service or others.

We had some bad stores about Prevost service, here just recently. Being overcharged, charged for work that didn't happen, and shoddy workmanship. But, at this point there's nowhere else I trust to service my coach.

I have friends that have purchased RV's at local "super centers", and their service is abysmal, especially if doing warranty work.

It's kind of a sad state of affairs!

Ray