Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Carriage

Default American Carriage

I don't know if this is accurate. There was a post on one of the other rv/motorhome websites that American Carriage is shutting its doors in a month.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Loc View Post
    I don't know if this is accurate. There was a post on one of the other rv/motorhome websites that American Carriage is shutting its doors in a month.
    I bet there will be lots of consolidations, rethinking of business plans this year from all of the converters, including the top two. The banks will be the reason some of these guys make serious course corrections, money doesn't flow the way it used to, the terms are different and there is much greater scrutiny. I was told by my contacts in Coburg that Country Coach is rethinking their game plan on conversions this year as well. They said that the Rhapsody has been a big drag on their production line, and sales are really soft. I had considered a 2008 plastic CC when looking. Great time to buy a coach.

I'm not sure there is a better or worse time to buy a coach. If you are in the market to buy, the prices seem depressed, and coaches seem to remain on the market for a longer period of time.

But like politics I think coach buying is local. When you are ready to buy, you buy. It is doubtful anybody that is buying a coach right now was sitting in their Lazy Boy last year telling all who would listen that he would hold off on buying until the spring of 2008 because it will be a great time to buiy a coach.

The reverse is true of sellers. I have yet to hear of sellers who choose to hold on to the old campuh till next year because the market will be moving up.

We buy and sell when we want to because that's the way it is.

I can't say I have seen or heard of any steals or deals out there in Prevost Land. I have seen coaches depreciate. I have seen coaches on the market for a long time, and those are likely to eventually get lower more realistic prices, possibly to reflect the damage from sitting for sale with little or no use. I have seen some buyers and sellers come together to make deals that were very good for both parties, and those are less reflective of the market as a whole, than they are reflective of a serious buyer and a serious seller striking a fair deal for both.

One thing I am sure of. No matter how low folks perceive this market to be right now, there is not a coach out there that will be worth more tomorrow, or next week, next month, or next year. All hard times tend to do is accelerate depreciation a little, and when the market turns, depreciation just slows a little, but it never stops.

Petervs Guest

Jon, I think you have summed it up pretty well.

My philosophy is to buy quality, then you can enjoy owning it for a long time, and derive the benefit of having spent your money by using the product, rather than worry about the resale value on a daily basis.

We bought our Prevost because I thought it would be the one RV we could own for 20 years and not regret it for the whole time. So far, 6 1/2 years later, I think the plan is still quite workable.

Buying a slightly used one makes perfect sense to me too. Let the other guy take the big depreciation hit. Since it is a quality machine the value will still be there.

It amazes me to see folks buying $500,000-700,000 new plastic coaches. There is just so much more value in a used Prevost for the same or less money. Some folk just want brand new I guess, even though we all know none of those are perfect trouble free machines.

I will be attending FMCA this next week in Pomona. American Carriage was there two years ago along with all the other Prevost Convertors; Parliment, Featherlite, Country Coach, Marathon, Liberty, Millenium and Prevost Coach Company. It will be interesting to see who shows up!
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by Loc View Post
    Similar note:
    Jan and I spent Saturday and Sunday in the Camping World Suite at Daytona International Speedway. I ask one of the CW VP's about the Featherlite deal. His comment was that the numbers were not good. (as in "real bad") and that all parties agreed to call it off. He actually said a lot more and came back later and ask that I not repeat all he had said, so I won't.
    He also said CW is working with Prevost to have the Katy, TX location become a Prevost service center. So, there you go Loc, now you Houston folks really have something to worry about. How about you all draw straws to see who goes first.
    I should also say the Camping World folks were a nice group of people who really do care about their customers. I was told that by a number of their staff so it must be true, I think. This company is on the move with big plans for the next several years to open many more stores and represent many different RV manafacturers.
    There was a bit of a "pep rally" atmosphere in the suite, but we sure had great seats for the races. It was fun.

Default Camping World

Not to sling mud, cause I don't have any FIRST hand experience, but a very close friend of mine, with a 2004 CC "Bob Lee Special Edition" Magna, had the WORST service from HELL, at the Camping World here in Houston.

Spent close to $4000 to replace an invertor, which did not need to be replaced.... and his list goes on and on, but you get the picture.

Kind of like AJ's terrible experience at Marathon this week? Sorry AJ for your troubles, glad Jon was able to help you get going today. He is a life savior.

Gary S.

For those of you that have never experienced a Camping World Service adventure, give it a try, I can't wait for the report.

Ted, how did you get in the box you lucky dog?

Gary,

That is a nice looking new avatar. That must go with the "FOUND IT".

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Ted, how did you get in the box you lucky dog?

Tom, I'll put it like this. I am so charming and good looking that they just had to have me up there with the CW big shots.

That is a lie.
    Truthfully, there was an exchange of cash involved and it was worth every penny.