Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Led Tail Lights

Default Led Tail Lights

I am planning on Replacing the tail lights with the newer LED ones. Does anyone have a handle on where I can get them, how much and who installs them?

Thanks,

Bruce

win42 Guest

You want to discuss this with Dale Journik. He is the best pog source. We did the lights on my 91 and they turned out beautiful. Dale's your man.

I won't go into detail because I lack sufficient information. And to those who know I am an incandescent guy this is not sour grapes....

I have been told some LED assemblies have the potential to fail internally and since the current draw is substantially less than the incandescent bulbs they replace there is a fire hazard associated with the fact the lighting circuit breaker will not trip should they fail.

Some replacement LEDs have an internal fuse or some form of thermal protection and these should be specified and used. The lack of LED assembly circuit protection may not pose much risk on the stainless side of an XL or XLII, however the sides of an H3 are combustible, as is the fiberglass housing of the XL tailights, which I personally know can act like a chimney and allow a fire to travel upwards toward the rear cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I won't go into detail because I lack sufficient information. And to those who know I am an incandescent guy this is not sour grapes....

I have been told some LED assemblies have the potential to fail internally and since the current draw is substantially less than the incandescent bulbs they replace there is a fire hazard associated with the fact the lighting circuit breaker will not trip should they fail.

Some replacement LEDs have an internal fuse or some form of thermal protection and these should be specified and used. The lack of LED assembly circuit protection may not pose much risk on the stainless side of an XL or XLII, however the sides of an H3 are combustible, as is the fiberglass housing of the XL tailights, which I personally know can act like a chimney and allow a fire to travel upwards toward the rear cap.
    Good info Jon. When I spoke with Prevost CA. about replacing the headlights with Xenon, they said the same thing about heat, fuses etc. If I make the switch it will have to come with all of the upgrades to protect against these possibilities.

Thanks,

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by win42 View Post
    You want to discuss this with Dale Journik. He is the best pog source. We did the lights on my 91 and they turned out beautiful. Dale's your man.
    Thanks Harry, I will make contact.

lewpopp Guest

Bruce,

For what it's worth, I had the LED tail light assemblies instaled about 4 years ago and have had not problems. Purchased them from International Bus Parts in Apopka Fl and had North Florida Bus Conversions install them.

Ask IBP for a lead on who could install them.

Quote Originally Posted by lewpopp View Post
    Bruce,

For what it's worth, I had the LED tail light assemblies instaled about 4 years ago and have had not problems. Purchased them from International Bus Parts in Apopka Fl and had North Florida Bus Conversions install them.

Ask IBP for a lead on who could install them.
    Thanks Lew, I am in Jupiter, and will give them a call. What should the entire process cost, parts and install?

Thanks,

Bruce

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Now wait a minute here Bruce. A guy from Bath, Maine can put in his own LED's for goodness sakes. Just a' sittin' while the BIW employees jam up Route 1 for endless hours gives a guy the opportunity to think 'bout stuff.

You can do this.

win42 Guest

One more time. Dalej is a POG member, IBP is not. Dale can supply every part you need including the SS tail light housings. The LED's are 12V your existing tail and clearance lights are 24V. It requires a new set of relays and diods for each circuit. It is not a complicated system to install once you have the parts and good installation advice. Dale J is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Jeff View Post
    Now wait a minute here Bruce. A guy from Bath, Maine can put in his own LED's for goodness sakes. Just a' sittin' while the BIW employees jam up Route 1 for endless hours gives a guy the opportunity to think 'bout stuff.

You can do this.
    Hello Jeff,

I think you have me confused with someone else. If I had worked at the BIW, it would no longer be the worlds #1 ship builder.

As for the LED lights, I have never seen them in person. if it is a matter of plug and play, then I your man.

I am ok with good directions (which almost never exist, translation is too difficult) but if I get over my pay grade, then watch out, because I will take over the bandwidth on the POG site begging for help.