Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cell phone reception and external antenna

Default Cell phone reception and external antenna

We will begin full-timing in June. It is important that I have a good cell connection for six days a month. I have a Rogers/Cingular phone and am getting another Verizon phone. What is the best way to improve the reception? Is there a single external antenna that will work with both phone choices? Any recommendations or experiences? Thanks.

I am not yet in the digital age, but I have a normal hand held cell phone and it works fine in the bus.

We also have a hard wired digital cell phone converter that makes all our telephone jacks throughout the coach work with regular telphones. It allows us to locate regular phones throughout the coach, one of them a wireless, and it works as well as the little hand held cell phone. That hard wired device needs 120V AC power all the time, and it has a roof mounted antenna. Its service is through Verizon.

What is the hard wired converter called? Is there a model number or name. I will be at the Verizon store in LA on the 24th to get a phone and AirCard.

I will have to get the information next time I get in the bus.

Default Cell Phone Boost

I have been having difficulty with getting good reception with my verizon air card lately so while at the mini rally PSL, Florida, I asked Wild Bill Miller, an electonics guru what to do. He has been all over the country full timing and and knows the problem with cell service. He had purchased a cell phone booster/repeater from this company and seemed pleased with the results,
    Exterior antenna with an inside amplifier.

http://www.repeaterstore.com/product...FUtyOAodpwW6mA

Bill. please chime in on this and update us with further developments if any.

I also have upgraded my verizon card to the new and improved version with the mini antenna. Dont know if it is any better yet or not as I have not had an opportunity to use it.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Thanks Jon.

Roger is the new Verizon card the Verizon PC5750 or the Verizon Wireless V740 Expresscard or the Verizon KPC680 Expresscard. I understand that the Verizon KPC680 Expresscard works with both the Kyocera KR1 Mobile router and the new Cradlepoint MBR1000 EVDO / HSDPA Mobile Broadband Router which is suppose to scream.

I also found the following site for external antenna's and amplifiers:

Antenna Guy
    800 470-4602
    http://antennaguy.com/index.html

Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks

Default cell phone booster

Lloyd, Try the Flying J web site, They have a booster for truckers that may work for you.

Default Cell Phone Booster/ Verizon USB/ Top Global

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell McCarley View Post
    Lloyd, Try the Flying J web site, They have a booster for truckers that may work for you.
    We had Marathon Install a cellphone booster system that we sent out to the factory. Here is a list that we installed and purchased for our Cell/Email needs.

1. Cell Booster, see JPEG image below
    2. Top Global MB6800 www.topglobalusa.com This device acts as a router/aircport. It also houses our 3rd item, the Verizon USB727 Modem.

The result is that we are able to have both of our laptops access the the internet at the same time, get higher speeds and better signals.

Marathon said that it is important to separate the booster antenna from the Wifi antenna so avoid interference.

I have had good luck with both the top Global and the Verizon USB Modem. I have even tested it against my own high speed service inhouse with excellent results. The booster is supposed to be able to bring signals in from up to 70 miles away, we will see.

Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Bruce I am talking with 3G Store online and will check out Global. The new technology sounds quite fast.

I plan on using the Plantronics PulsarŪ 590A Bluetooth head set to give me hands free access to the keyboard while on the phone. It works with my Rogers/Cingular Treo 650 and I will have to purchase a compatible Verizon phone.

The router and booster will give me a little walking freedom. Thanks

Default Verizon Card

Lloyd, The new car is a Verizon PC5750. 50.00 Bucks with a 50 Buck Rebate. go figure.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost