Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda CRV

Default Honda CRV

Does anybody tow a Honda CRV? Considering it and would like any feedback you have.

Thanks, Ken

Default CRV is great!

Ken, we have a 2001 Honda CRV and love it. The car does not have the power of our 2008 Accord but it works fine as a Toad. I used the Roadmaster
    tow system Falcon 2 and their BrakeMaster and BrakeAway system. J C Whitney seems to have the best prices on this stuff but no longer list the RM Tow bars. They sell Blue Ox which may be comparable to the Roadmaster. The Falcon 2 tow bar was very easy to install on the vehicle. The brake set-up takes a little longer.

As for the lights, I built my own light bar which I attached so I could remove it with 4 wing nuts and disconnect a plug. This was simpler than wiring through the Honda light system.

The CRV needs to be started and ran through the gears but ultimately shifting from DRIVE to Neutral. DO NOT shift from Park through Reverse to Neutral. SERIOUS DAMAGE COULD RESULT (A check list is suggested.) The owners manual for your particular year CRV shold be consulted. I stop every 200 miles and start the engine and go through the transmission procedure. We have never had a problem. This SUV is very dependable and good in snow.

If you have any questions on this do not hesitate to call me. I am home today and tomorrow and at work on Tuesday. Phones are on the 'Dale Map'
    Good Luck!!

I believe the shifting pattern is similar on all Honda cars. I have to do the same on my Civic when we tow it. It's not a big deal. You also need to run it through the gears approximiately once every 300 miles. Generally I will do this at a fuel stop.

Ray

Ken,

I bought my daughter the new '07 CR-V, which by the way is a great looking car with it's redesign. It's auto and we do tow it although this is not blessed by the manual.

As stated above we follow the strict pre pulling shifting pattern and repeat every 300 miles or so.

Mike
    crvfront_5773.jpg

This is the bracket, from Roadmaster, that is nearly invisible on the front of the car.

bracket.jpg

http://roadmaster-tow-bars.com/searc...ke=13&model=10
    Last edited by MangoMike; 02-18-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darl-Wilson View Post
    Ken, we have a 2001 Honda CRV and love it. The car does not have the power of our 2008 Accord but it works fine as a Toad. I used the Roadmaster
    tow system Falcon 2 and their BrakeMaster and BrakeAway system. J C Whitney seems to have the best prices on this stuff but no longer list the RM Tow bars. They sell Blue Ox which may be comparable to the Roadmaster. The Falcon 2 tow bar was very easy to install on the vehicle. The brake set-up takes a little longer.

As for the lights, I built my own light bar which I attached so I could remove it with 4 wing nuts and disconnect a plug. This was simpler than wiring through the Honda light system.

The CRV needs to be started and ran through the gears but ultimately shifting from DRIVE to Neutral. DO NOT shift from Park through Reverse to Neutral. SERIOUS DAMAGE COULD RESULT (A check list is suggested.) The owners manual for your particular year CRV shold be consulted. I stop every 200 miles and start the engine and go through the transmission procedure. We have never had a problem. This SUV is very dependable and good in snow.

If you have any questions on this do not hesitate to call me. I am home today and tomorrow and at work on Tuesday. Phones are on the 'Dale Map'
    Good Luck!!
    We recently purchased the Saturn Vue XR, V6. It is a completely redesigned saturn, and it is drmatically improved. The ride is outstanding, the power 257HP 6spd trans. The package is great, and with the Navigation it really improves getting around. The vehicle is heavier and was redesigned for the European market. I have driven it about 4K and it a fast car. The best part is like other saturns, it does not require the 300 mile start and shift, and can be run all day at 65 MPH. take a test drive and I think you will be impressed. The V6 is thae same as in the Saturn Outlook and Acadia, with 18 fewer HP. and about 1000 less pounds.

Bruce

According to the FMCA docs, the CR-V is towable in both 2007 and 2008 models. It does mention that the shifting stuff needs to be performed every 8 hours of towing.

Ray

Jim_Scoggins Guest

I looked hard at the 06 CRV. There was a caution in the owners manual about towing it faster than 65 MPH.

You might want to check this aspect out in the new CRV manuals. I think it was pretty much Honda CYA.

lewpopp Guest

Bruce,

I had a 2006 Vue for 18 months and it was a peppy car. Same engine in the 2008.

The main reason I changed to a Saturn Outlook was the interior area in the rear was double the Vue. That made a differance because I use it as my attic. The engine is the same and I'm well satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by lewpopp View Post
    Bruce,

I had a 2006 Vue for 18 months and it was a peppy car. Same engine in the 2008.

The main reason I changed to a Saturn Outlook was the interior area in the rear was double the Vue. That made a differance because I use it as my attic. The engine is the same and I'm well satisfied.
    We really liked the Outlook, and more over really like the people at the saturn dealership (Stewart Fl) but our goal was to save some size, weight and Money. Our last tow vehicle was a Lexus RX 300, and my wife has never forgiven me for turning her white (smoke Dust White) baby into a stone pitted, dust covered car. We had installed a remco oil lube pump, but still cooked the transmission after a 1600 mile trip back to Florida from Maine. I felt that the 2008 Vue XR to be a good compromise, we'll see.

win42 Guest

I'm looking to change from a Tahoe 5700# to something lighter and shorter. Jeep four door Wrangler 4wd or the Jeep Liberty 4wd are on my short list. No speed or mileage constraints except the 55MPH CA tow speed limit.
    A Liberty pulling a Liberty does have some sex appeal.