Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bus Barn

dalej Guest

Hector, my barn is 30 x 50. I like that you went 60. It looks as if you are designing it to work on your bus evertime it's in the barn, which will not be the case. I would make the door big enough to back the bus along one side when just parking and then you'll have enough room to park other STUFF in there.

If you use Jon's style of building with two doors, I would add a pit. I use stands and get along great without one.

Keep in mind, your not going to service our bus's too! I don't think.

dreamchasers Guest

All replys have been excellent! I designed the structure to attempt to keep the wall height as low as possible. The issue is when you turn into our driveway, the bus entry door will be the first thing you see. Then, you will have to drive down the existing driveway, nest to the structure, thus I am trying to minimize the wall height. Don't want it to appear I am passing a warehouse on the way to my home.

Concerning the pit!. I do see it the way to go. Since I have not seen or worked with one, I am struggling with installing one. It is a possibility, but it is still simmering.

The center design will hamper placement of other equipment in the structure, but I think I can live with this inconvenience, to tone down the size of the building as I drive in.

The door is at 12 wide now. It seems to be the only way of fitting the 14 foot height door into structure's roof line. If I make the door any wider, the wall height will increase.

I do have a constraint with the size of the building. With a property building line, an existing building behind the proposed structure and the existing driveway on one side.

I have received advise from tdelorme concerning making the building 60 feet. It seems like the way to go.

I do intent to brick the structure to match my house.

Thanks for all the welcomed comments. They are all good

Hi Hector, I wish I could speak from experience about using my Bus Barn but I am building it as we speak. My building is 36' by 60'. The ceiling is 16 feet high. The ceiling consists of a pre-finished white metal liner fastened to the bottom chord of the trusses. The ceiling was insulated with approximately 10" of blown-in insulation. I installed 32 4 foot 2 lamp flourescent light fixtures, 2 commercial high performance ceiling fans and a 250,000 BTU ceiling mounted heater. The roof pitch is 6/12 with center peak. The door for the bus is 16 feet wide and 14 feet high and is in the Gable end of the building and offset from the center. There are 2 10' by 10' garage doors on one of the eave sides of the building so I can store my skid steer and other equipment easily inside. That's as far as I have gotten. I am getting close to beginning the floor which will contain a pit assuming I don't run into any unforseen problems. My pit will be per POG specifications (see Jon). The pit will be offset from the center (like the main door) allowing 5' 5" from the side of the bus to the side wall of the building - meeting or exceeding POG specifications. If it would stop snowing here today maybe I could finish this thing soon.

Miles and Laura Circo
    2004 Country Coach XL II 45' D/S

Thumbs up

That's all sounding real good Miles, how about some pictures.

Just a comment. If all the bus barns were used for parking only then I would have no recommendations as to the spacing between the bus and the wall. But there are maintenance issues that will arise necessitating the removal of an axle and 5 feet or a little more assures the necessary space to pop out an axle and have room to work.

For those unaware, popping an axle out, such as to service the drive axle hub seal only takes a few minutes so it is not a big deal. In fact the axle will come out for work on the brakes, bearings, hub seals, brake drum replacement, etc.

Wow.
    Very helpful. We're in N Texas and about to build a barn/shed with living quarters. Trying to figure out how much width we need to keep the two slides open when inside barn for a Liberty Prevost conversion. Anyone know the measurements of the bus when slides are out? The lighting suggestions were very helpful. If anyone still has their barn plans and would be willing to share that would be great.

Suggested....keeping in mind cost.
    Stall Width min ...16 ft this will allow slide room run out.
    Length...60 ft. this is "inside" length. If you go 50 ft the fight will be getting bus forward enough to open bay doors. 60 ft allows for a small bench /storage shelf in front of bus
    Sewer dump....25 ft from overhead door
    Garage door height...14 ft
    Garage door width....very important min is 12 ft 6" Why you ask ? Bus mirrors
    Electric and water....both service are at front of bus. You want smooth walls or your risking some serious shoulder injury. Cords lay
    on floor next to wall.
    Lighting....overhead and side
    Just a few suggestions. Questions ?

Info is for a single stall....as used in our bus storage business for past 17 years. We recently went condo on the bldg and have one remaining stall remaining.

This bldg has eight (8) storage stalls is heated and air conditioned with 50 amp service, sewer dumps (8) city water (8) Commercial overhead electric doors, walk in/out doors each end.

AL
    IMG_1038.JPG
    Last edited by BoaterAl; 03-19-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Hot and cold spigot outside for washing and cleaning

Would just like to share some pictures of the garage we built in 14 days. Pre-fab sections, 2x8 construction, 25’x50’, 3 garage doors, floor drain and sewer connection for dumping holding tank. We have 16’ at walls and 19’ in the center, all lumber is pressure treated, has 145 mph sustained wind load withstands 175 mph gusts. Thanks

Would just like to share some pictures of the garage we built in 14 days. Pre-fab sections, 2x8 construction, 25’x50’, 3 garage doors, floor drain and sewer connection for dumping holding tank. We have 16’ at walls and 19’ in the center, all lumber is pressure treated, has 145 mph sustained wind load withstands 175 mph gusts. Thanks