Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Picture Tells 1,000 Words...

ajhaig Guest

Default A Picture Tells 1,000 Words...

We've encountered a bit of a set back on our way to south Florida so we back tracked north to Marathon FL (we were just here last week for an oil change). Last night when we arrived at Marathon it only took about 20 min for the bus to settle into it's "full lean posistion."

The tech has more or less rulled out any problems with the Prevost side of the air system, they have isolated the Prevost system from the house side of the air system to confirm this in an overnight test.

On a separate note, I noticed this afternoon that the brake lights are stuck on. Any thoughts on what could be wrong with them? I want to show off by fixing the brake lights while the Marathon guys deal with the air system!

AJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ajhaig View Post

On a separate note, I noticed this afternoon that the brake lights are stuck on. Any thoughts on what could be wrong with them? I want to show off by fixing the brake lights while the Marathon guys deal with the air system!

AJ

The first place I'd look would be the stop light switch - a small valve screwed into one of the ports in the foot valve, you can use a test light to see if both the wires have power only one should be hot unless the brake is applied. You can remove one and check to see if the stop lights go out. Your foot valve is mounted directly below the treadle (brake pedal) in the floor. I'll post some possible valve photos tomorrow when I get to work. A new stop light switch should run you between $20-$25.

AJ.....I seriously doubt the house has ANYTHING to do with the leans.

Your problem is on the RH rear. Verify the three air bags (one on the tag and two on the drive axle) are not leaking. That is immensely easier said than done, but a coach that leans quickly has a leak likely to be heard with a stethoscope.

If you can prove the air bags are leak free, then check the five port Norgren valve ahead of the drive axle, on the forward drive axle bulk head, either behind the fender liner or towards the middle, and if that checks OK look at the three port Norgren on the frame on the RH side between the tag and drive.

If the five port valve is leaking it may be heard leaking from one of the valves in the steer compartment.

Let me really stick my neck out here. I cannot conceive of anything on the house air circuit that can make your coach lean. You can have zero aux air pressure and the bus should not lean. If the tech disagrees, get on the phone to Prevost because he does not understand how the system works.

Ditto what Jon said, as usual he is Jon-nie on the spot and spot on.

ajhaig Guest

Jon,

What you are saying makes perfect sense to me based on everything I've read regarding leaning coaches. What has me confused is that last night the coach went "down" very quickly and tonight she's standing proud, not a hint of leaning.

Is it possible to have intermittent leans?

AJ

Default a picture tells a 1000 words

AJ I had the same stop light problem a year ago. I went to Prevost Mira Loma to have it checked. They replaced a square clear plastic circuit breaker in the panel above the engine. I am not sure it is called a circuit breaker. There are 3 or 4 of them in a row inside the rear panel. I am not sure but I think they replaced the second one from the right. Whatever this part is called, it is plugged in with a retainer to keep it from comming out. Hope someone jumps (JON) with better info. Darrell

AJ, I'm sure you've heard this before, but the temperature will often impact when/if the bus leaks. My leaks only showed up when it was really cold.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I've also had times where it seems like there might get some debris in the valve or something and things lean. Then bringing the system down, the up again (sometimes a couple of times), seems to clear it, and it's fine.

Ray

AJ, cold will affect it, and as Ray points out it can be an intermittent or one time event. If you can make the Sevierville rally Hector will walk everybody through the basic concept of the leveling system so there will be an understanding of how most coaches work. There are so many revision levels, different designs and converter installed features it is impossible to specifically teach your coach, but you will come away with an understanding of the system in general.

Orren Zook Guest

Does that particular vintage coach use or have manual leveling valves? It is also possible that the o-rings have not seated properly when the valves were used allowing the bags to leak back through the manual valves. You can usually rebuild the Bendix Westinghouse valve that was used with 2 or 3 o-rings for a total cost ot .50 per valve