Dear Debi Disguised as Bob,

"Looking at shells"???????

As intriguing as the concept of building your own coach appears, except for the ability to proudly say I did it myself I think even to the most capable the project is expensive and time consuming.

Let's start with the expensive part. By the time you buy the shell (not a small investment) and the stuff that makes the shell a house you are well north of $500,000. On the surface that seems cheap compared to the prices new coaches are selling for. But there is a whole lot more involved, including the depreciation of all of the stuff during the time it takes to assemble your own bus.

Then there is the time. By my estimates, based on conversations with various converters the typical coach takes 7,000 to 9,000 man hours. Bear in mind these are the hours to assemble an already proven design, using components that already have been programmed for their CNC machines, and wiring systems that have been assembled the same way for years. For an individual to tackle the construction of a coach it takes skill in plumbing, woodworking, electrical design, AC, audio visual systems, and interior decorating.

I can envision a home built conversion taking four years. In today's market you can buy a professionally converted 4 year old slide coach for $800,000 or less. That is where you will be when the home built conversion is finished. You will have a four year old coach.

But don't let my negative comments dissuade anyone. When a competent builder puts together a conversion, if it is done right there will be nothing more satisfying than having it exactly the way you want it. And when someone shows up at a POG rally with a conversion they did themselves they will get the anal award and it will be retired because nobody will be able to top that.