Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murphy Bed

Default Murphy Bed

Does anyone know of a murphy bed installation that allows the bedroom to be used as a office during the day. Pamela and I are both writers and need to be in separate rooms. She is a flower and works best in light, i.e. dining table. I am a mushroom and work best in dark, i.e. closed blinds in the bedroom with the bed lifted to make space.

Any suggestions? I don't think the bed needs to lift totally vertical but that would be nice. Just getting it out of the way. We do not really need the extra storage under the bed, but do need someplace for me to sit and have some place for the laptop.

Hi Lloyd. I have not seen Murphy beds in Prevost conversions, however the newer Country Coach Conversions have beds which fold or retract into a couch configuration.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I like the idea of having a sofa in the bedroom during the day. But find convert-a-beds uncomfortable, therefore wanted to stay with a regular queen mattress and just lift the whole thing up.

Newell makes one, but that is not a Prevost.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by wlloydw View Post
    Does anyone know of a murphy bed installation that allows the bedroom to be used as a office during the day. Pamela and I are both writers and need to be in separate rooms. She is a flower and works best in light, i.e. dining table. I am a mushroom and work best in dark, i.e. closed blinds in the bedroom with the bed lifted to make space.

Any suggestions? I don't think the bed needs to lift totally vertical but that would be nice. Just getting it out of the way. We do not really need the extra storage under the bed, but do need someplace for me to sit and have some place for the laptop.
    Lloyd, sounds like your a candidate for a stacker trailer. Just set up the workshop area as an office.

Thumb through custom interiors web site and see what they offer.
    http://www.customrvinteriors.com/main.cfm

There is also one of our sponsors:
    http://www.creativemobileinteriors.c...ofit/index.asp
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 02-10-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wlloydw View Post
    I like the idea of having a sofa in the bedroom during the day. But find convert-a-beds uncomfortable, therefore wanted to stay with a regular queen mattress and just lift the whole thing up.
    Hello Lloyd,

We once had a boat that was brought over from Germany. It had a sitting room on the main deck, with chairs, with a full bathroom. We decided to make into our master bedroom, and purchased a really nice queen size futon, with a great mattress. I found the bed to be a great night sleep, and it served as an excellent sofa during the day. We were also able to find matching side tables and coffee table. I am a nut for a good night sleep, sleep on a Tempur Pedic bed, and really have fond memories of that queen futon.

Bruce

Lloyd,

The way most beds are installed is on a plywood cover over the "box" it rests upon. Our bed on the original coach had heaters and the engine access cover beneath it and the plywood cover was screwed in place. The current bed has a hinged plywood top (these plywood tops are covered in laminated plastic) and has a pair of air lift cylinders.

I can envision modifying the bed support panel so it is hinged about 1/4 or 13 the way down, and that when lifted can be held in place with cylinders or supports, have a drop down surface and a small seat attached to the foot of the support box. It won't necessarily be pretty, but it could be functional. An alternative is to see if there is some way to copy the approach Safari took on one of their very short motorhomes with a bed that was raised to the ceiling during the day, but lowered for use at night.

Lightbulb

Lloyd, you could sit in the copilot chair after lowering the blackout shades and drawing across, just behind that chair, a curtain/folding partition, separating the front area from the salon.
    You would have to rig that up.

Petervs Guest

LLoyd,
    If you were planning to buy a new coach I am sure Marathon and I bet any other converter would build a Murphy bed in for you , no problem.

If you want to modify an existing coach, there are many companies that can do that. You need to shop around and discuss options. One option might be to do like they do in a Trek motorhome, the bed just rises up to the ceiling. Go look at one, you will be amazed how well that works.

Another option it to check out entertainer coaches. Some of these have lots of bunks and they probably want to maximize space and I bet a few of those have used Murphy beds.

The cheapest solution would be to go in the bathroom to write, just close the doors.There is already a convenient place to sit!

Good luck!

We have decided on a 1991 chassis, 1992 Country Coach conversion. It has an inline queen bed.

Jon I designed a tilting murphy like you describe so that the head tilted to the floor and stood straight up. It seems the easiest to do and would as you state leave a small storage area or seat under it.

QUESTION: Problem is the safe is located in the upper left of the bed box. is that something that can be moved forward 18" or is it welded to the steel framing?

Jim though Pamela would like to put me in a trailer sometimes I do not want to tow one and then have to deal with it in a campsite, it would limit our camping choices.

Bruce I too had a great futon in by earlier days I remember fondly. But I think that was because I was younger and more limber them. Today I like a good pillow-top mattress of excellent quality.

Jim the curtain would not work be cause I still have a few clients I consult with a few days a month and the phone is why I am relegated to the back of the bus.

Peter I looked at the Trek bed but the ceiling heights requires a thin mattress and the lift rails have to be on the four corners for support and that works well in the smaller trek but would require columns in the room to do it in the larger space.

Thank you all.