Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PDI for Los Angeles and Phoenix

Default PDI for Los Angeles and Phoenix

What do the letters "PDI" stand for? I would like a pre-sale inspection, who can I contact to do a PDI in Los Angeles and Phoenix?

PDI stands for "Pre DElivery Inspection". It is done by the selling dealer prior to taking delivery. That is certainly not the same thing as a pre sales inspection done by someone picked by the buyer.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nrhareiner View Post
    PDI stands for "Pre DElivery Inspection". It is done by the selling dealer prior to taking delivery. That is certainly not the same thing as a pre sales inspection done by someone picked by the buyer.

In some circles, 'PDI' means Put Diesel In.

Ah, a guy needs to be a little specific, as in getting it in writing before making the Secret Handshake.

I have read Jon's excellent article, Prevost Purchase Inspection and another titled Checklist for Purchasing a Prevost. One coach is a private sale in LA and the other is located at Desert West Coach in Phoenix, both are Country Coach 91/92 XLs. Where would be the best place to locate someone to do a Pre Sale Inspection? Thanks.

If I were a new potential owner I would enlist the aid of an experienced, mechanically talented owner.

When we bought our first coach Don Hoffman, a great converter in Clarendon, PA did our coach inspection, and I followed him around like a puppy dog.

He worked virtually the whole day, operated every switch and button, drove the coach, and by the time he completed his inspection we both knew every single device was working.

I did my own inspection on our current coach but I had 15 years of ownership and about 10 years of doing all my own repairs and maintenance behind me.

What I would not do would be to allow someone to do the "inspection" without looking over their shoulder and making sure they looked at everything. On the vintage coaches you are considering it is unlikely everything will be perfect, but you still want to know what might need attention, or what might not work so you can attach a value to any required repairs.

Lloyd,

Welcome to POG. You might want to contact Steve Bennett at California Coach Company in Costa Mesa. Steve is a sponsor and his contact info is on the homepage. He is a very knowledgeable and helpful guy and would guess that his charge for a PDI would be very reasonable. He may have other recommendations also. As to your choice of coaches, would suggest you don't get too wrapped up in the Cruiseair vs Dometic issue. Overall maintenance, available history, cleanliness and your general impressions of the coach should be your final criteria. All things being equal, (like anything else) buying from a private party will generally get you more reliable information about the coach than using a dealer. Good luck.

Happy to see more Canucks joining the group. Hope the participation doesn't vary as much as the worth of our respective currencies. How about a little bio on you and yours, eh?

You might try Desert West Coach in Phoenix.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Default Pdi

Prevost Car in Mira Loma (30 miles or so East of L.A.) would be a good choice for the chassis part anyway.

BrianE, Thanks for the summary of what is most important. The coach we looked at today seems to have been well maintained in the past but there are no records, because the owner has done all the maintenance and has not kept any records. Everything looked clean and in good condition below except the House batteries. The bus has been in storage in his warehouse for 6+ months and the four batteries have over-flowed and rusted the holding trays. They have to be replaced. He says the bus has be plugged in the entire time and he starts the bus weekly. There were no leaks except for the house batteries. Tomorrow we see the next bus, photos look very clean.

By way of introduction, My wife and I are both writers. We wrote business columns and articles for years and are currently pursuing screenwriting. I coach executive 6 days a month by phone and that leaves us plenty of time for travel, therefore we hope to go fulltime on the road in June in a Prevost. There is much of North America we want to see. I was raised in GA and am now a Canadian resident. My wife is Canadian. Thank you and all the forum members for your replies. I wish I had found the forum a week earlier. I would have done this trip very different. Thank you.
    Last edited by lloyd&pamela; 02-07-2008 at 01:55 AM.

Hello Loc, the coach we see tomorrow is at Desert West Coach. i assume it is not a good ides to have the dealer inspect their own sale. Have you had a good relationship with them? Thank you.