Thread: New Power -- Volvo D13

Default New Power -- Volvo D13

Hi POGgers,

I stopped in at Mira Loma last night to clean the rig, dump the tanks, etc. before putting the bus away in the hanger today. Went in to say hi to the service mgr. and found a brochure for this engine. Manufactured by Volvo in their Hagerstown, Maryland plant, it will be a new engine option for Prevost motorcoaches. I tried to scan the three shots here, but my scanner and computer are not talking to one another just now. So I hope the photos tell the story. The D13 is a brute for torque.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

A much smaller HP than the 515 Detroit Diesel but similar specs on torque and power. I guess this is the only way to meet EPA requirements.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Just Plain Jeff Guest

The problem here is that the new Volvo engine has never been test-driven on the American interstate system. As perhaps noted elsewhere, it is being manufactured at the old Mack engine manufacturing plant in Hagerstown, MD based on Swedish plans. It has been tested in Sweden in smaller rigs. Not sure about this but it is possible the name of the town where it was tested was something like Smjorngenbjorgstenarood. We'll have to dig into the research to get more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Jeff View Post
    The problem here is that the new Volvo engine has never been test-driven on the American interstate system. As perhaps noted elsewhere, it is being manufactured at the old Mack engine manufacturing plant in Hagerstown, MD based on Swedish plans. It has been tested in Sweden in smaller rigs. Not sure about this but it is possible the name of the town where it was tested was something like Smjorngenbjorgstenarood. We'll have to dig into the research to get more information.
    Hi Jeff,

I have had some experience with Volvo engines from the marine side, both as an owner and with the Volvo factory folks in my business. The marine heavy duty or continuous duty engines are really excellent, especially the older ones found in trawlers. The electronic versions found in late model sport boats, have had some issues, and the repairs, parts etc have proven to be much more expensive than Detroit or Cat. I hope that Volvo folks have made a better mouse trap for their Buses than their boats.

The Prevost Car web site has the Volvo engine brochure that can be downloaded.