Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calgary To Skagway/Ferry to Bellingham Aug 08

Bruce,

We stayed at the RV park in Pacifica and it was pretty good. I think the one near downtown SF is more like a parking lot.

Enjoy the new coach and good luck on the trip.

JDUB

Hello Jerry,

Candlestick Park looks like a parking lot online, but it sure is close to downtown. We are thinking about staying at the San Francisco Rv Resort at Pacifica, you suggested, it appears to be about 15 miles on Rt. 280 to downtown, (Soma District) where my son will be living.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Erion View Post
    Bruce, When at Prevost in Mira Loma Have Louise work on you bus. If you call ahead and ask, if he is not booked, he
    will do the work you need. I can only say from my personal experience, he is very good!
    Just my 2 cents worth!
    Very important to know, thanks Kevin, we will look him up.

Pam and Bruce,

Let us know when you will be through Houston (traveling I-10) and we will try to assemble the Houston area gang (HAG) for a meet and eat.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Loc View Post
    Pam and Bruce,

Let us know when you will be through Houston (traveling I-10) and we will try to assemble the Houston area gang (HAG) for a meet and eat.

Loc
    Look forward to it, and will keep you posted on travel plans.

Bruce

win42 Guest

There is a great Detroit Diesel / Allison shop located in Springfield, Oregon very near Coburg. Very good and reasonable. They work two shifts which gives you day / night service. I had a very good experiance with them.
    Enjoy your adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by win42 View Post
    There is a great Detroit Diesel / Allison shop located in Springfield, Oregon very near Coburg. Very good and reasonable. They work two shifts which gives you day / night service. I had a very good experiance with them.
    Enjoy your adventures.
    Thanks Harry,

The coach is being taken over to a shop today for the 50K srvice. The folks at Marathon said that they have been using this shop for over 15 years and take all their coaches to them, it might well be the same folks.

Default staying in touch on the Alaskan Highway

Bruce,

Reading a post a couple of days ago, you indicated a need to stay in touch via cell phone, internet, etc. while on your Alaska adventure. Cell service north of Dawson Creek is sketchy at best. Towns are many miles apart. What you might consider is a satellite phone. I bought one back in 2004 as I drove much of the trip from Whitehorse to Fairbanks by myself. My sister and brother-in-law were traveling in their bus as well but sometimes were separated. I purchased a prepaid 700 minute card for the phone, which brought the per minute cost to about $1.50. Not toooo awful. You have 12 months to use up the minutes, and the card can also be recharged easily with a phone call or e-mail. You can keep the phone on at all times, and only pay for air time. The iridium service offered has global coverage, no matter how far north you travel. Not so with the dish on the roof of your rig. Just a ways past Whitehorse you could loose satellite tv and internet reception.

Keep us So. Cal POGgers posted on when you'll be down this way, we'll get together.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by bluevost View Post
    Bruce,

Reading a post a couple of days ago, you indicated a need to stay in touch via cell phone, internet, etc. while on your Alaska adventure. Cell service north of Dawson Creek is sketchy at best. Towns are many miles apart. What you might consider is a satellite phone. I bought one back in 2004 as I drove much of the trip from Whitehorse to Fairbanks by myself. My sister and brother-in-law were traveling in their bus as well but sometimes were separated. I purchased a prepaid 700 minute card for the phone, which brought the per minute cost to about $1.50. Not toooo awful. You have 12 months to use up the minutes, and the card can also be recharged easily with a phone call or e-mail. You can keep the phone on at all times, and only pay for air time. The iridium service offered has global coverage, no matter how far north you travel. Not so with the dish on the roof of your rig. Just a ways past Whitehorse you could loose satellite tv and internet reception.

Keep us So. Cal POGgers posted on when you'll be down this way, we'll get together.

Ken
    Good morning Ken,

Sounds like you have had some real Alaska adventures. I have used Sat phones in Europe when doing Aerial photography up north in Norway, Finland in late Fall. They work pretty well, as long as I was standing outside. My greatest need will be for internet access (high speed best) so that Pam can answer her customer support questions from our websites, deal with our sales reps etc. based on what you are saying, along with others, we may not go beyond Whitehorse, just do some trype of loop back down to vancouver and maybe the islands.

Motosat makes moble satellite available on your rig. There are a number of different satellites available, and you can specifically (depending upon which service you chose), pick on that will cover Canada and Alaska.

If this is something you need to do, check out www.datastormusers.com for a forum simiilar to this, but dedicated to Motosat Datastorm users.

I have a dish on my bus, and I'm very pleased with the results. My particular satellite is probably not the best for Canada or Alaska however.

Ray