Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calgary To Skagway/Ferry to Bellingham Aug 08

Default Calgary To Skagway/Ferry to Bellingham Aug 08

Planning a 2008 Summer trip to Alaska. I have reserved a oneway passage on the Alaska Ferry Adventures from Skagway Alaska to Bellingham Washington in August of this year. My plan is to slowly leave out of Florida in late May, heading out to Montana in June, follow Rt.15 across the border to Canada, to Rt. 2 /4 on up to Calgary, on up to Edmonton to Rt. 97 on up to Rt 1 then back over to Skagway and catch the ferry on August 18th. back to Bellingham on the 22nd of August. I thought that leaving in June, I would have enough time to stop along the way and take advantage of some of the wonderful parks and attractions on this route. has anyone made this trek before, and if so would it be possible to get some advice. My plan is to spend some extra time preparing the coach for the trip, and have been reading about some extra precausions that will help prevent mechanical problems along the road. Any advice would be appreciated. Also if anyone is thinking of heading up to Canada and Alaska during this timeframe, maybe we could start a Prevost Wagon Train???
    Last edited by 0533; 02-03-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Post doesn't exist as a new post, no reason for continuing the post unless it is listed as a new.

Pam and Bruce,

I did the Alaskan thing in 2004. 9700 miles in 87 days (out of So. Cal.). The best trip of my life!!! Skip Edmonton, spend more time in Banff and Jasper, drive to Dawson Creek and start the Alaskan Highway there, mile marker 0.

FYI, on the ferry your bus will be on inverters only. Access to your rig is limited while on board. How many days from Skagway to Bellingham?? You might have to empty the fridge and shut it down. We took the ferry from Haines to Skagway, only 3 hours or so, so no problem there. If you're taking a toad, you will unhitch and park it separately. Less money that way too.

How do you feel about boondocking?? The Provincial campgrounds are mostly dry camping, but many of them are spectacular. You'll want to stay a couple of days. Especially if the fishing is good. Grayling rising to a dry fly. It doesn't get any better. And of course the salmon in Alaska.

I could ramble on for hours, so I'll stop here. We're talking of going back in 2009. Got to do it again!!

Have a great trip,

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by bluevost View Post
    Pam and Bruce,

I did the Alaskan thing in 2004. 9700 miles in 87 days (out of So. Cal.). The best trip of my life!!! Skip Edmonton, spend more time in Banff and Jasper, drive to Dawson Creek and start the Alaskan Highway there, mile marker 0.

FYI, on the ferry your bus will be on inverters only. Access to your rig is limited while on board. How many days from Skagway to Bellingham?? You might have to empty the fridge and shut it down. We took the ferry from Haines to Skagway, only 3 hours or so, so no problem there. If you're taking a toad, you will unhitch and park it separately. Less money that way too.

How do you feel about boondocking?? The Provincial campgrounds are mostly dry camping, but many of them are spectacular. You'll want to stay a couple of days. Especially if the fishing is good. Grayling rising to a dry fly. It doesn't get any better. And of course the salmon in Alaska.

I could ramble on for hours, so I'll stop here. We're talking of going back in 2009. Got to do it again!!

Have a great trip,

Ken
    Hi Ken,

My wife Pam likes your idea better than mine. I had not considered the Frig issue on the boat, but we were concerned about the dog having to stay long periods in the coach alone. it is a five day passage. I have a reservation, but have not made my final plans yet. Think we will rethink this part. It seemed like the easy way back, but we do not have to go as far up either.

Our coach is in Coburg at the Marathon factory, and is just about finished from its upgrades. We plan to head out in March now and work our way back to Florida.

We real like the boondocking idea, and have no fixed time table for com pletion. One of our only concerns has been cell service. We have to stay connected to the internet to stay in touch with our business, and have been told that cell service in parts of canada is sketchy. We had Marathon install a high gain antenna, a signal bosster and wifi on the coach that is supposed to be able to get signals up to 70 miles away from their towers. Hope this helps. We also ,plan to add another cell carrier once we get into canada to save some $, as we have been told that our carrier, Verizon costs too much in Ca.

Anyway in May we will head out to Vancouver and up until we decide to turn around again.

Stay fluid has been our moto. Love to find paradise if it still exists.

Bruce

Bruce,

As you make your way south, and then out to FL, please let us Southern CA guys know when you'll be in the area. I'm sure we can get a bunch of us to come out and say hi. We're also pretty famous for getting out to dinner when out-of-town POG guests arrive!

We did a wonderful rib feast when JDUB was in town, at high RV park in Anaheim! (They stopped for Disneyland).

Please let us know when you'll be coming through.

Ray

Bruce,

Beverly and I will be passing through Coburg for points south on the 17th or 18th. If you're in Camp Marathon at that time, give us a call or send a PM. Would guess you're getting pretty charged up to "attend school" on the new rig. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Bruce,

As you make your way south, and then out to FL, please let us Southern CA guys know when you'll be in the area. I'm sure we can get a bunch of us to come out and say hi. We're also pretty famous for getting out to dinner when out-of-town POG guests arrive!

We did a wonderful rib feast when JDUB was in town, at high RV park in Anaheim! (They stopped for Disneyland).

Please let us know when you'll be coming through.

Ray
    Pam says that we will get underway much more quickly if I stop upgrading the coach. We are having the 50K Prevost shell service done next week and that will be the end. My accountant (Pam) says I have done enough. This coach set more than it ran over the road, it has 30K miles on it and I do not want to have any surprises when we get underway. We are having the seals replaced, along with a full service, air, refrigirant, brakes, hope this will get us what we need. I am in the Marathon mode, which means that I want as much of their talent, time and experience as possible upgrading this coach. I have never had the chance to have a factory full of experienced people, most of whom worked on this coach when it was originally built. I am having too much fun with the upgrades.

We enjoy a good meal as well, and look forward to seeing you when we hit the road. Our son is moving to San Francisco in march, and we plan to stay in the bay area for a while as we head south, have been looking at a few RV parks in and around the city.

Look forward to meeting you both,

Bruce

Hello Brian,

We are charged up, and can't wait to get underway. The hardest part of this trip is getting the toad out to Coburg to get started. We have so much stuff, our dog etc. I am not looking forward to this part of the trip. As for school, I will need a semester of training before I leave the factory. They have promised to go through all of the systems new and old until I am completely satisfied, they do not know what they are getting themselves into, as I take about twice as long as the average person to completely understand what I am looking at, and Pam (German) will be taking notes.

We hope to get in the Toad about the 18th or so, driving west across I-10 will stay in touch.

Safe travels,

Bruce

Hi Bruce. There is a Prevost Service Center and a Marathon Dealership and Service facility in So. California now as well, so if you travel thru California you have the added opportunity to stop if something comes up on your way to Florida.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Hi Bruce. There is a Prevost Service Center and a Marathon Dealership and Service facility in So. California now as well, so if you travel thru California you have the added opportunity to stop if something comes up on your way to Florida.
    Hello Gary,

I had considered having the folks at Prevost Car do the service, and spoke with them on the phone. I plan to stop and have them inspect a few recalls and service bulletins that need to be done. marathon had agreed to see that they were covered, and I plan on spending some time in So. Ca. until they are sorted out.

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce, When at Prevost in Mira Loma Have Louise work on you bus. If you call ahead and ask, if he is not booked, he
    will do the work you need. I can only say from my personal experience, he is very good!
    Just my 2 cents worth!