Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Needs Help

doodlebug45 Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks Jon. I'm way ahead of you there. I printed off your inspection document and am using it as my bible. It is a great piece of work! The overall condition of this coach is probably what really struck me on the initial inspection. The next trip will be "button pushing day". I plan to make a check list from your document and my wife will be following me with the video camera. I plan on at least 2 cups of coffee before starting so that all 3 brain cells are up and running. Memory cells seem to be on extended vacation but the video should help. In the boat world we use "marine surveyors" anytime we are seriously contemplating a purchase. They have a very specific approach to checking out a boat. I have a great surveyor and will be using his report from my last boat as a "go by" for the coach inspection along with your stuff. I will report back. Thanks to all for the continued support and advice. BTW, is MPD a disease that can be treated with anything other than money injections?

Hugh (D'Bug)

MPD is incurable, but as you may surmise it is treatable but the cost is quite high.

I am of the opinion any coach can be an excellent buy as long as the purchase price reflects the dollars it will take to make the coach suitable for one's needs. Remember one thing and that is we owners are sometimes willing to accept something not being quite right but that does not make it OK. As a new owner you need to know everything works, or if it does not work, what it will take in terms of money and time to fix it.

I often look at the deal breakers first. In order they are the engine, transmission, the rest of the drivetrain and undercarriage, generator, tires, batteries, AC systems, and so forth. If you are not familiar with the various systems, how they function, their limitations, etc. I would urge you enlist the aid of someone who has that understanding.

Are you qualified to judge and evaluate the AC and heating systems or the house AC and DC voltage systems? Do you feel comfortable you can determine the condition of the leveling system air bags and valves? Are you going to get under it and check the braking system? I'm not trying to discourage you, but if you have some issues with some of the systems described you can make $5000 evaporate in a hurry unless you are prepared to do the work yourself.

I noted Brian offered to help. Unless that imposes a hardship on either of you that will be another set of eyes and since he would not have a dog in the fight his evaluation will be impartial. BTW, he has been up close and personal with the dirty side of his bus so he brings some expertise to the table.

doodlebug45 Guest

Hi Jon. At this point I have almost everything covered to my satisfaction. The only hole right now is to get the suspension/drive train checked out and I am close to a solution for that. Engine, transmission, AC are all being looked at by qualified pros whom I know and trust. I will be handling the DC/AC systems myself along with my master electrician buddy. Fact is that the coach system is not all that different from the many boat systems I have worked with over the years. In some ways the coach system is actually more simple because I don't have to worry about galvanic corrosion among others. I just had to replace a thru-hull fitting in a forward bilge just because the ground wire came off and it corroded in less than 2 years. I completely agree about knowing every system and how everything works. I do have a truckers license and airbrake certification so airbrakes are no mystery to me. My Bird also had air brakes but I realize every system is different. I also know Kenworth, Peterbuilt and Western Star systems. I sure don't want to sound like I know it all or that I'm not grateful for offers of help but so far I think I'm okay. All the advice about what to watch out for has been invaluable. There still might be some holes to fall into and I will holler for help if that happens.

Hugh (D'Bug)

At the risk of sounding like a smart ass, air the bus up and let it sit.

If it hasn't leaned left or right by the third or forth day it currently has a good suspension system. If it stays where you left it for that length of time without leaning, and it is cold out you have a keeper. If it leans, and you want to be cruel, make the seller cure the leans.

The brakes are just like in trucks as you would surmise and the standard pre-trip brake check will verify their current condition.

Brake lining thickness will require you to get under the coach or use a good mirror. The only thing you won't really be able to verify is if one of the springs in the emergency brakes is broken. I may be out of step with others on this, but in the absence of proof the airbags and the brake chambers have been replaced a reasonable time ago I would treat them as the first on the list of things to do so their true condition is relatively unimportant as far as the coach inspection goes.

Sounds like you have matters well in hand. Good luck.

doodlebug45 Guest

Hi Jon. That "lean" test sounds like a good idea. We are going to take the coach for a few days just to check things out so I'll try that then. The seller has replaced all the brake linings but I will check anyway. Hopefully they checked the brake chambers at the same time but?? I get under everything I own including boats so I will definitely be under the coach. I have heavy duty jack stands for that purpose. I lost an uncle that way once. Today I have been in touch with the Western Regional Service Manager for Prevost who directed me to the shop that looks after all their stuff out here. Turns out to be not many blocks away from where the coach is sitting. Their checklist is longer than the one I had and the price is quite reasonable. Prevost was also able to tell me that the coach had 2 outstanding recall notices on it. Both had to do with flexible hoses to the brakes so I have told the seller this must be corrected. Is it standard for Prevost to supply a spare wheel and tire for their shells?

I don't know of many Prevost owners that carry a spare except for maybe Jon. Dale might also, but it has been said that it is too much of a hassle and a danger to carry a spare.
    A cell phone is a lot less weight .
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

doodlebug45 Guest

Hi Gary. You may be right but about 6 years ago the lack of a spare and no cell service somewhere in the middle of Montana turned into a very expensive and uncomfortable 2 day adventure in my old Bird. An onboard spare could have saved me a thousand and a day & half. There are still lots of places with no cell coverage. For me it would just be a comfort thing. I certainly have no desire to change my own tire but sometimes ---!! I carry spare props for my boat too but I've never had to change them either but if I had to, I could. BTW, I've had 2 front tire blowouts on the Bird, one on each side and both at about 65 mph. Safe landings in both cases but I did have to change my shorts after. Both of them were in the middle of nowhere.

Hugh D'Bug

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Do NOT buy this coach! Please provide the name and contact information for the seller and we'll take care of the details. It's probably unsafe.

Hugh,

Back in the good old days we carried a spare, already mounted on a wheel I polished on both sides. Never used it.

If you lose a tire, put it on the tag, raise the tag and drive slowly somewhere for service or call for roadside service as Gary says.

I do carry plugs, and if I get a puncture I can repair it temporarily with a plug.

Arrow

Hugh, if you feel you must have a spare, just in case!
    Carry the tire only and a set of tire irons, then if you need it you have it, and if not you can store towels and polishing supplies in the tire when not in use.