Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Needs Help

Hybrid View

doodlebug45 Guest

Exclamation Newbie Needs Help

We just introduced ourselves in the New Member Forum. We have been searching for a Prevost suitable for our needs and ran across POG in the process. What a relief! There is a dealer in a city close to us that has a 1993 Marathon that looks to be in excellent condition. They are in the process of fixing a few problems that are normal for an older coach but our initial impression is that it is a great unit and just what we need. I got a copy of the Marathon Retail Invoice and it says the V.I.N. is N-975, the production number is 0208XL and customer name is Buddy Gregg. We are confused by the year because the plate in the engine compartment says 1992. The date on the Retail Invoice also said 1992 but this has been crossed out and 1993 written in. The date on the Prevost Car Inc. "Coach Final Record" is December 1991. What is this unit? Is anybody out there familiar with this particular unit? The other thing that is of some concern is that this bus is incredibly well priced according to our research at $149,000. Grandma used to say "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" but grandpa used to say "if its too good to be true it usually is". We have a ways to go yet in our purchase process but any help you experts out there can provide would be immensely appreciated. By the way, I have owned motorhomes since 1971 and had my Bluebird for 8 years. I'm a "shade tree" mechanic who works on his own boats and restores cars for fun. I was also a hobby farmer for years and know my way around heavy equipment.

VegasDogMan Guest

Vin Number is not unusual to be year earlier than date on converter invoice.

Coaches are built in Quebec, shipped to converter and finished sometime later.

For example, My Feb 97 Liberty has a Prevost Oct 96 build date. Coach is sold and registered as 97 even though VIN says '96

Need to decode a VIN? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...ication_number
    Last edited by VegasDogMan; 01-30-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Welcome. Buddy Gregg is a Prevost & Motorcoach Dealer in Texas & Tennessee. If you have real interest in this Coach, find a reliable 3rd Party mechanic or Prevost Service center and have it checked out. Do not rely solely on anything the individual or Dealer is telling you.
    You can also call Marathon and get a History on the Coach that would give you some clue as to usage .
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

doodlebug45 Guest

Smile

Thanks guys! this is useful stuff. The VIN data was informative as I have the whole number and was able to check it out. I will follow up with both Marathon and Prevost to see what data they have on the unit. I can't seem to find an authorized Prevost shop in my area but we do have a very good Detroit/Allison shop that I will get in to for a checkup. I will try to find a bus shop that can look at the rest of the chassis. Perhaps a charter operation might do it. The dealer is having all the AC checked out by a reputable shop that I know. I am told the coach has OTR, Cruiseair and dash air. It has all been upgraded to 134 he says. He is also putting in 6 new 4D AGM (Lifeline) house batteries and the other batteries are also quite new. It bothers me a little that it has Toyo tires on the drive wheels and Michelins up front & tag.

The N code which is the 8th digit from the end of the serial number tells us that the coach is a 1992 shell production date.On this forum go to miscellaneous items and then go to VIN # BREAKDOWN and Jon's post explains the years for the letters.The great thing about owning a Marathon is that they still support all their coaches and you can get help 24/7.They also have great parts people and service techs.Good luck with your search and welcome to this board.

Doodlebug....

Over the years the issue of VIN numbers, build dates, model year, etc. has created questions and concern among buyers and owners.

The converter decides the model year for the title on the coach. It is possible to have a shell with one model year and the title to have another. In the final analysis the actual year on the title or the shell vintage has less and less importance as the coach gets older. Depreciation is a serious concern in earlier years of a coaches life and very little concern as the caoch ages. On an older coach the value is all about the coach condition and maintenance history. On almost new coaches because of the enormous depreciation it is about the age.

For the vintage you are looking at concentrate on all the things that are really important, such as the coach's condition, maintenance, appearance, and the price. The price is only a reference point because I have seen much newer coaches I would not pay that much for, and I have seen older coaches that are a bargain at that price because of their condition.

Don't worry about the age.

We also need help in buying a Prevost after having been Foretravel owners for years. We went on a fact finding run to Sanford and San Antonio just to learn about different conversions and see what they had to offer in used coaches. We are looking at an '04 CC at Featherlite, VIN #2PCW3349621027920. (orginally sold by Buddy Gregg) The second coach is an '03 Royale, at Buddy Gregg in TX. Stock # 8079 Both are d/s. We are trying to find out whatever we can about these two coaches. We are just beginning to learn and appreciate any help or comments. CC

Hello Bill1170 and welcome . This can be daunting. First you have the Bus built by Prevost, then you have the Convertor. The Bus can come with many options and so can the conversion.
    Its best, I believe, to make a list for each on what you want or need to learn more.
    All Convertors are different in what they install in terms of equipment and interiors . This can lead to endless questions but it is well worth learning more about what Country Coach offers which is different to what Royal or another Convertor offers.
    Prevost shells are not all the same either. The Convertors order them to their specifications for heating and cooling among other things.
    So, take some time to ask questions here and get a feel for what Prevosts are and what each Convertor has to offer.
    Last edited by garyde; 05-14-2008 at 10:05 PM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Bill,The serial # of the country coach tells us it is an 02 shell,it will always be an 02 shell and valued as an 03 conversion.The date code is the eighth digit counting from the end.The converter can title these conversions as they want to,buyer beware!!! There have been many updates to the Prevost slides in the XLIIs,some of these updates came during the year model that you have an interest in.I have been told that the 03 and later shells with slides are the ones you want to consider.Keep asking questions and good luck hunting for that special coach.

Thanks, Jack. We have just looked at an '03 Royale, VIN # 2PCW3349721027781 at Buddy Gregg in Dallas that we are considering. It's only has 31,000 miles and looks to be in great shape. It supposedly has had two owners.
    Any comments about this particular coach or the Buddy Gregg dealership?
    The '04 Country Coach seems not to really be available...we never even got to see it, and the salesman doesn't even know where it is...Featherlite seems to be undergoing big changes. Bill1170