Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seen on the way to the Socal Mini Rally

Peter,Measure how far that slide extends.also if the other side is out measure it also.

Petervs Guest

Jack,
    I am not your errand boy!

Besides, I was at Marathon last Tuesday and am now 800 miles south of there, and I am afraid my tape measure is not that long.

YOU could easily call Marathon and simply ask them!

peter,I thought you just got there,your pictures are great.The slides on the 4 slide coach look shallow.

I checked with Marathon and they said that the curb side slides are 24 inches deep and the drivers side are 30 inches deep.I also asked what a 4 slide weighed,and the first one they did weighed 50,120 Lbs.The salesman also said that most customers want 2 slides in the front and only 1 in the bedroom,because this gives the greatest bang for the buck.If this weight is correct I am impressed.My 2 slide XLII weighs 51,880 Lbs,the non slide 2001 XLII that I sold JDUB weighed 49,500 Lbs.I am not convinced that the weight that the Marathon salesman quoted is accurate,I would weigh it before I took the plunge.

Talking to Marathon this afternoon, Kevin Harvick's coach is driven by a professional driver for Kevin. So, moving about the coach with slides in is really not an issue. Having said that, with the front curb slide in, you can get by it to go up the stairs to the rest of the coach since there is no passenger seat.
    On the weight issue. Marathon has targeted to remove a total of 1200 pounds from their new coaches. Currently, they have trimmed over 900 pounds, with more to go. They are utilizing lighter weight materials, such a metal backed thinner granite tiles, such as Granite Lite-like products. etc. and other weight saving techniques..
    They weigh their coaches dry. So very little fuel, and no water. A loaded coach will weigh more when it hits the scale. .
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Even with fuel and water it would only add about 2000-2500 Lbs.Marathon has really cut some weight out of their coaches,and if they can cut more it will only help.I thought that the 4 slide coaches would be over weight.I imagine valid has kept the weight of the slides down also.Valid does all of the Newell and the Marathon H slides along with their other products,their engineering and growth curve must be steep.

I believe it is important to remember the limits on the front axle weight, and the rear axle weight when considering these new Buses. If you are at 51 k before you add 170 gallons of diesel, and 140 Gallons of water plus a individuals personal belongings and themselves, they are probable over the weight limits.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Jack,

Marathon will have a couple coaches at Pt St Lucie according to Lew and I'll be glad to be your errand boy and measure them for you, just let me know if you need the measurements.

Truk,Why not,they say that the slides are 30 and 24 inches deep,if that is the case the salon is 100+30+24=154 inches or almost 13 feet wide(approximate).Also check what size tires are on the 4 slide coaches,the drives still should have 315's.Also if you can verify the weight,I think Marathon weighs their coaches with no water and minimum fuel.If the 4 slide weighs close to 50,000 I AM IMPRESSED.Thanks,Jack

Default peter...very informative pics...thanks

always helpful to see what's going on in the market....thanks again