Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Lawyers Your Best Friend?

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Default Are Lawyers Your Best Friend?

Having experienced carpal tunnel syndrome from NOT writing on many of the discussions in this thread, like to share an experience.

Last spring I concluded a six-year litigation.

Keeping it simple:

As we all know, money rules over the law, so that one can get settled very quickly. The supposed task of lawyers is to avoid liability, first for themselves, and hopefully for their clients as well.

One of the observations that I witnessed was that lawyers do their work between themselves on the phone and in person that their clients never get wind of. They trade case values back and forth, pick judges and venues that favor their litigation.

It is very difficult for lawyers to get past an insurance policy--at least in the case I was involved in--to get at the assets of an individual, even in the case where a Defendant has substantial assets.

The more qualified a driver may be, with a higher license qualification, that could be perceived that as a Defendant, they would be more qualified to avoid a lawsuit, rather than less. In other words, it's better to have a regular license than a CDL, for example, as a defendant would be treated as a 'better driver,' and open to increased liability.

If you haven't had the wonderful opportunity to be in a deposition (which for some odd reason I kinda like), it can be compared to a root canal and colonoscopy at the same time without anesthesia.

As owners of what are perceived to be tres cher coaches, POG coach owners are moving targets for lawsuits. Maybe you have seen a leased Lexus following you around? That could be a contingency-based Personal Injury lawyer.

Those folks may not be your best friends.

win42 Guest

Jeff:Thank you for backing up my final statement on drivers license classes.

The only reason you enjoy sitting through depositions is some other soul has his a-- on the line and you are sadistic enough to enjoy watching him sweat. Besides you get to write down more long winded words you can use to bore us with. Keep smiling!!

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Hey Harry YOF: I love depositions because the lawyers are not as prepared as they should be due to their double-billing and many conflicts of interest that occupy their lives. They expect a guy to screw up and give them more information than they asked for.

This may be shocking to you, but there are times when I say very little.

Infrequently.

The more qualified a driver may be, with a higher license qualification, that could be perceived that as a Defendant, they would be more qualified to avoid a lawsuit, rather than less. In other words, it's better to have a regular license than a CDL, for example, as a defendant would be treated as a 'better driver,' and open to increased liability.
    Jeff,

Your reasoning makes perfect sense. If I understand correctly, it follows that in the future airlines should hire private pilots to fly their airplanes. They might have a few more accidents but would be more able to defend themselves against being sued. Great idea!

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Brian: Are you SURE you aren't a lawyer?

Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Jeff View Post
    Brian: Are you SURE you aren't a lawyer?

Hmmm.
    Hello Jeff,

I agree with your logic Jeff. I would rather have a regular license that covers me in my Prevost than a CDL if I were in an accident, especially if it were my fault, same goes in an aircraft, that is if I lived through a crash, I think the pilot with an ATP who makes a gear up landing at his home airport and messes up the field will suffer the financial wrath more quickly than the private pilot will. There is lower expectation of both the private pilot and the regular licensed Prevost owner, lower standard means as long as he is legal, than it is more likely just an accident.

I'm with Brian. I also have an ATP and a class A CDL. I would rather not dumb down. Completely disagree with the "logic" expressed here.

Each of us will have an opinion, in my case there is a little wishful thinking, I do not hold either a CDL or an ATP. I had to struggle to pass my IFR. But I think it is worth noting what the Industry says about the benefits and pitfalls of having the commercial license. Check out this link to "Land Line magazine" the business magazine for professional truckers, it is about CDL licenses, and traffic violations both in the commercial truck and in private vehicles.

http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne...080502-01.html

Bruce,

Thanks for joining up. You obviously enjoy joining the "battle". Your admission that you backed up your private ticket with an instrument rating however reveals your sincerity in taking the right path to protecting the safety of yourself and your family. By the way, an instrument rating doesn't come easy for anyone and it enjoys the highest first-try failure rate of any rating. Congratulations on your attaining the professional standards required to reach this higher level of competence.....which incidentally, is also the main reason for going through the CDL process.

The reason I got my IFR was because I didn't want to die. I had decided to purchase a new Turbo Arrow back in 1979 with all the goodies (back then), and only had my private. After picking it up at the factory in Vero Beach Fl. and making my way back to New England I quickly realized that I did not belong in that aircraft without the proper instruction and Certificates. It is a lot easier to learn to retract the gear than it is to make an IFR approach into Nantucket Ma., where I had a business at the time. For me, it was self preservation. If I find that driving my Marathon with only my current license places me or my family at risk because I haven't learned enough to be completely satisfied that I can manage the road and all it has to dish out, then I will consider advanced training. I never say never about much, but my hope here is to become as proficient as possible with this coach. I do not consider myself an expert in the technical side of things, but have a pretty good track record for learning, mostly overcoming and working around my other flaws.