Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers License Wake Up Call

The Class B license in California is what is necessary when operating a Coach 40 feet and larger, as well as over 22,000 lbs.
    Not exactly Gary. The CA vehicle specifically indicates an RV (called a "house car" in CA) 40 feet or less can be operated with a Class C license. It does not matter if it's over 22,000 pounds.

The 22,000 limit applies to vehicles OTHER than RV's, like trucks, etc.

So, with a class C a 40 ft Prevost is legal. A 45 is not.

Ray

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Ken if one were to take a vehicle, any vehicle, with air brakes for a behind the wheel exam THAT VEHICLE would have to pass an air brake inspection, period.

When one goes to get a CDL "air brakes" is just one of a few WRITTEN exams that need to be passed for that.

If you are in a state that does not require some additional drivers certifications for your bus (most) you probably will need neither.

If the state does require additional certification on your personal DL then probably both you and your vehicle will need to pass those tests.

For those who would like to unnessessarily cost yourself time and money just because you WANT to have a CDL you will have to pass a written and the bus will have to pass a physical.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 09-22-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Joe,

Personally I don't care if a motorhome driver has a CDL or any special license. Apparently some states agree with my attitude.

But it is my opinion that if a person is going to slide behind the wheel of a vehicle that requires skills beyond those required for a passenger car then I want to be assured that person has skills appropriate for that vehicle. Period.

We have been in campgrounds watching people try to get a camping trailer backed into a site for the better part of an hour. They have their spouse standing behind the camper with a walkie-talkie and they still cannot get it right. We have seen the same thing with big motorhomes. We have watched folks drive over picnic tables. We have seen folks in Prevost coaches and equal sized motorhomes incapable of staying in their own lane in construction zones.

I'll bet there are drivers out there who do not know how to do a pre-trip brake test.

My point is if a person is sharing the road with others, then they have an obligation to possess the skills necessary to drive the vehicle. If enough folks driving large vehicles screw up then it is just a matter of time before it will be necessary to possess a license appropriate for the vehicle.

And that requirement will not come from legislation to start. It will come from insurance companies who will not cover the driver unless he or she has demonstrated those skills, usually by possessing a license that says they do. The reason truckers have restrictive laws is because before the laws were passed there were some that ignored common sense and became hazards. They used "speed" to keep awake or they drove trucks with faulty brakes, or they hauled loads in excess of what was reasonable. Now because of those that constantly pushed the limits, all truckers are heavily regulated and have become a revenue source for some states.

Its only a question of time before motorhome owners will be as regulated. Before that happens however I think the Montana license thing will become a revenue source and will become illegal if it is not already.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Anyone who has sat through one of your airbrake seminars probably came away with more than you could ever get by getting a study guide for a CDL. These guides are available to any who ask at any DMV.

I agree we who do educate ourselves about this aspect are for sure better prepared for breakdowns and emergencies and safer too.

I would like to extend my help to those who have not seen one of Jons seminars and who have never read a CDL study guide. Go and pick one up. If you have any questions about something call me anytime and I will clarify things you may need help with 708-243-7871. Post questions here, all could benefit.

IMO this is a better alternative than subjecting yourself to more regulation.

Aquire the knowledge, screw the official endorsment.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 09-23-2008 at 01:35 PM.

There are many CDL guides available on-line from several states. In theory, they should all be very much alike.

You can download the NJ CDL manual in PDF form from this link...

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Commercial/CDLManual.htm

I like this quote from the manual....

"2.7.3 – Space to the Sides
    Commercial vehicles are often wide and take up most
    of a lane. Safe drivers will manage what little space
    they have. You can do this by keeping your vehicle
    centered in your lane, and avoid driving alongside
    others.
    "

Seems most truckers haven't read this 'cause they sure don't mind driving alongside me for miles at a time

Paul,

The solution could be that one of you has to go faster!

John
    John Knollmaier
    Still Dreaming!

Yep,

I usually end up just tapping my brakes to let them by......

Don't like lingering next to those trailer tires in case one of 'em decides to come apart while next to the bus....

Heaven forbid that they should accelerate beyond their cruise control setting!

The more knowledge you obtain before getting behind the wheel of a 45 Ft. 48,000 + pound 102 inch wide vehicle the safer you, your passengers and the other drivers around you are. Please don't think in terms how little you can get by with. Get a commercial drivers license hand book and be prepared to handle any situation that you find yourself in. Be prepared to pass any test be it a drivers license test or actual situations arising on the road.
    Here in California we travel in heavy traffic situations most of the time. I am glad I prepared myself for a commercial license and received a class B non commercial license. The examiner did give me the air brake test prior to my driving portion of the test. We have a resposibility to be prepared to handle our busses in the safest manner possible.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Harry, I'm curious ...

I'm sure you read as well as I did that the air-brake test was not required, but I've heard from several people that they were indeed given an airbrake test.

However, Ken mentioned to me he was "talked through" an airbrake test, rather than asked to perform one without any guidance. Ie. the guy gave him the instructions, and Ken performed the test (he could have done it alone as well).

So, I was wondering, in your case, did they "walk you through" an airbrake test, OR did they tell you to perform one, and grade you on it? I certainly don't mind knowing how to do an airbrake test, and I do. However, it bothers me when the rule book they give you specifically indicates no airbrake test, and then the examiner gives one anyway.

Ray