Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers License Wake Up Call

Since it took Peter nine months to think of a cheap shot answer to our exchange Warren, I would guess it may take a little longer than 2 years to even get his attention let alone for him to actually learn anything.

Default Lol

Yeah Brian, next thing you know he is going to be talking about the "talkie" movies being in vogue!

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default How many seats?

Bruce,

I can only speak to my experience in NC. When I went to get an upgrade on my license I was looking for a CDL. Our DMV told me, no way with that vehicle - it does not seat 16 or more persons. I even countered but that does not change the nature and technical systems of the vehicle. I wound up with a "twenner" license. Its called a Classified B in NC. I also did not qualify for a Classified A license because I would not be towing a trailer with a GVW exceeding 10,000 pounds.

OK, I know it is not good practice to question a DMV Examiner's knowledge base. However, in NC they were part of the DOT until recently and I work for the NCDOT. I passed the written test, 40 correct out of 50 possible (I had 30 for 30 at one point and then let down my guard against their sneaky way of wording questions). I took the road test the next day. That examiner stated she had never given a test to anyone in this kind of vehicle. She also said it might take awhile to complete the road test - like from here to Myrtle Beach SC. I told her I was operating at her direction with a full tank of fuel so just tell me where to point the bus and we would be off! Well we did not go to the beach, really big disappointment, but I did pass the test. So right now until I get a bus that seats 16 plus I've gone as high up the license scale as I can go.

I've got to go look where I can put in a few more seats - later.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Air Brake Adendum

I just read all three pages of this thread and was surprised that there was no mention of what someone referred to once as an "air brake adendem". Now, I have no idea if this is something that even exist but they characterized it as keeping a non CDL license like most of us have now but getting some........."air brake" certification added to it. Maybe this comes automatically with another "class" of license. ??? Seemed screwy to me. What the heck do you need to know about the air brakes except that if the air leaks the bus comes to a stop instead of speeding out of control.

Jeff,

I can't say for other states, but in CA a class -B non-commercial license, required for RV's longer than 40 ft, specficially indicates that an airbrake test is NOT needed, even if the vehicle being tested has airbrakes.

HOWEVER, that being what's in the rule books, the examiners seem to have a different idea, and I've heard from several CA residents who have taken the Class B test, that they've gotten a full-blown Class A (CDL) type of test, including full airbrake test.

The airbrake test in CA has around 5 parts, which test that the compressor is working, that it cuts off at proper pressure, and cuts in at proper pressure. It also tests that your airbrake alarm goes off at a specified pressure. Sometimes they also require that you pump the brakes long enough that you get below the emergency brake threshold, and your emergency brake pops on.

There is no AirBrake Addendum to a Class B in CA.

Ray

Ray do you have a Class A [CDL] ?
    Last edited by Sid Tuls; 09-22-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Since the Spearfish attendees got up close and personal with 4 state troopers involved with vehicle safety it would seem they would have an interest in our rigs and all the things related to them such as axle weights, driver licenses, lengths, etc.

The short version is we are off their radar. They have no special licensing requirement. Apparently a bunch of other states also allow a 16 year old with a new license to drive our rigs also.

I guess if an owner lives in a state where there is no special license or skills test required, like TN then you need no endorsements or special class licences. The police made it abundantly clear they had zero interest in RVs or enforcing the state's laws regarding weights, or lengths.

I don't agree, but my opinion doesn't count.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jon and others sorry for my attitude but what does that tell you.

It tells me they really have little regard for safety and rather are just another bunch of bureaucrats that are out for our money.

A gang of programed robots out separating truckers from their wallets. I got a badge and the authority syndrome.

Until recently I always looked at professional drivers as having a lot in common with the DOT. We spend our lives on the road and are judged by our performance behind the wheel.

I do not believe in stereotypes and would be willing to admit there are probably that 10% who are professional but from my experiences almost NEVER am extended that same consideration when encountering them.

Be careful what you wish for Jon ya know truckers are limited to 500 miles a day and have to log 10 hours to do it. Is this the kind of over site you would like for us? Transponders with satellite links to monitor our every move every minute.

Default Drivers License Wake Up Call

Excuse me, but I am confused as to what the air brake test has to do with a CDL. Can someone explain a little more what the issue is/was? Am I missing something. In my experience, the air brake test is part of the inspection for vehicle registration and registration renewal (yearly), along with engine emissions, regardless of the type license being held by the (registered) owner/user.

This test was performed by the inspector, which in NJ used to be done in the DMV inspection station. That changed some years ago and is now performed by private but state licensed and listed truck/heavy road vehicle garages and no longer handled at state run DMV stations (and where it is done in PA., in my recollection).

Also, if possible, can anyone tell me what states require anything special in the way of a driver's license (class) to drive a non-commercial vehicle for non-commercial use that is classified as an RV, and for what weight/GVW?

Thanks.

Hi Ken. I know next to nothing regarding other states. California does not require a air brake certification as far as I have been able to learn. The Class B license in California is what is necessary when operating a Coach 40 feet and larger, as well as over 22,000 lbs. There is no brake test associated with this license although I have heard some examiners may ask questions regardless. Each state have their own license requirements but I understand they honor other states Laws for out of state drivers. Some states have little or no requirements for driving any RV.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide