Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drivers License Wake Up Call

Hybrid View

sticks Guest

Default Montana LLC

Just bought a 2005 Liberty last month and the previous owner was listed from Montana (LLC?). How do we go about registering our coach in a Montana LLC?I haven't gone down to the local DOT to pay the staggering sales tax, etc. because I just received the title 2 days ago.

Default Heads Up for CDL holders!

FYI, new federal regulations regarding medical requirements take effect on January 30, 2012 for CDL holders, regarding interstate or intrastate certification. Complete information online at: www.fmcsa.dot.gov or 800-832-5660.
    Last edited by Orren Zook; 12-20-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: link correction

Default Think I found the answer

Hello All:

I think I have dodged the bullet this time. I went to a page on the Florida DMV site that exempts motor vehicles from the CDL requirement as long as the vehicle is used for non-commercial use

CDL Exemptions: Florida DMV.

The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license in the state of Florida:

* Drivers of authorized emergency vehicles that are equipped with extraordinary audible warning devices that display red or blue lights and are on call to respond to emergencies;or
    * Military personnel driving military vehicles; or
    * Farmers transporting farm supplies or farm machinery, or transporting agricultural products to or from the first place of storage or processing or directly to or from market, within 150 miles of their farm; or
    * Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes; or
    * Drivers who operate straight trucks (single units) that are exclusively transporting their own tangible personal property which is not for sale.
    * An employee of a publicly owned transit system who is limited to moving vehicles for maintenance or parking purposes exclusively within the restricted-access confines of a transit system's property.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce.

Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes
    Bruce, that sounds like it's the key. The important thing (at least it was in CA), is to make sure it it licensed as a recreational vehicle. If you go in and say "bus" in the DMV, you can sometimes get the clerks confused. In CA at least, ours will specifically say "motorhome" somewhere on the registration.

Ray

ps: As an example, however, in CA if the coach is over 40 ft, then it requires a Class B non-commercial license.

It's my understanding that the state of Florida makes the exemption if it is a recreation vehicle.That seems to be the key.

However, it is probably a good idea to have the appropriate Class license in the event of a legal challenge (read lawsuit).