Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Drivers License Wake Up Call

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default and the answer is ...

Ray,

I agree with your response. However, that is why I went for a CDL as soon as I got my Prveost. In NC you don't qualify for a CDL - Passenger unless you seat 16+. Obviously we don't. So the highest I could get was what NC calls a "Classified B" license. You get to take the CDL question test, with 40 of 50 questions being required to pass and a road test. Now the question test was passed with, you guessed it, 40 correct answers out of 50 questions. When I came back for the road test, the lady examiner said she had NEVER given a road test in one of these! She added we might just have to go all the way to Myrtle Beach to complete the test. I told her the tank was full so let's get going. We just went around the block, stopped for a fake RxR track, made a backing move, left turns and right turns but no parallel parking!

I have always been disturbed by the States requiring a motorcycle endorsement, which I got in 1977 as soon as they were required (yes I have a story about that too) yet they allow anyone to operate an RV with a simple Class C license. Makes no sense to me but that's the way it is - wait a minute isn't that a line Walter Cronkite used to close his news casts?

Later ... oh and Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to all!

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Let's set the record straight for Georgia!

My tag and ad valorem tax in 2009 for the Liberty was $529.46.

Michael,

If you paid $8,000.00 you must have bought from a Dealer and paid about $770,000.00 for your 1996 Featherlite! If not, hire a Lawyer and get some of your money back, you have been screwed...
    Tom - I misspoke! When we first registered the bus in January 2009, we had to pay the sales tax ($8,700 based on a bill of sale for $145,000). When I renewed my tags in October, the cost was somewhere between $1,500 & $1,800 for the tag fee and 2010 ad valorem taxes according to the "non-brain damaged" one in the family (Vita).

Sorry for the initial misinformation! Even so, it's still way more expensive than I'd like it to be to keep my tags current! (Still feeling "screwed" - and I didn't even get kissed!)

Ok Michael, I just thought you might have got hosed!

No sense giving the blood suckers a dime more than required.

ken&ellen Guest

Default my 2 cents

When we purchased our Liberty, Ellen & I were living in VA and too decided to get my CDL only to find out that since it is an RV and not commercially registered the local truck training outfit turned me away instructing me to get the " B " endorsment which I could attain through the school system IF I was hired to drive a school bus or go to the local tour bus operators for training. But alias...the tour bus people would not train you unless you were in their employ and driving their equipment.
    Since it was not required in VA at that time I just let it go. Ken

Sometimes there are windows of opportunity. If your bus qualifies in your state as a class B, but does not require a CDL or non-commercial CDL you may be in luck if no special license to drive an RV is required.

An RV may be exempt from special licensing today so while the opportunity is available it is a cheap way to get that CDL. Take the written test. Schedule the driving test. As long as your bus is over 26,000 you can use it for the class B test. You can also get the air brake endorsement. You don't need to go to a training school or even show up with a licensed driver in the passenger seat since you are already legal to drive the bus (RV).

The CDL will not be a commercial CDL (although it could be if the state will allow it) you will get yours by passing a test in a vehicle you already know you can drive. The best reason is some insurance companies (National Interstate is one) give a discount for having the commercial license.

FWIW when I passed mine I was able to get the examiner to count seats and he came up with a number that put me in the category of getting a passenger endorsement so I now carry a "P" endorsement so if times get tough I can always drive bus for a living.

I would have a problem here I belive?
    I have been blind in my right eye since I was 6yrs old That took me out of allot of fields, They would not except me to serve our country, could not get a city job my Father is a retied Fire Capt, no fire or police jobs and I dont belive I could get a CDL because of the same type of Physicals you must pass,
    I dont even notice it myself,
    But I belive I would not Qualify for a CDL???
    And I could not accept giving up my Bus its been my wife and my Dream for many years !!
    Guess I will be rolling the Dice ???????
    Last edited by lbriant; 10-09-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!

I sure wouldn't worry about it. It sure wouldn't keep me from traviing in my coach.

Larry,
    You have to check what the requirements are of the state in which you are licensed in. Many states do not require any special licensing for a RV. I live in Ohio and there is not a special license requirement for a RV including a bus.

Denny

Larry,

Even if you do live in a state which requires a CDL it will be a non-commercial CDL Class B (unless you plan on towing a trailer in excess of 10000 pounds which might require a Class A) and I don't believe a medical is required.

I don't know why that would be exclusionary on a medical anyway because pilots can fly with disabilities by demonstrating ability and getting a waiver.

Thanks guy,s for the info, I have a DOT book I can get my hands on so I will check it out, If I can do somthing to help I will, if I cant I will just keep on rolling on !! I think like others on this thread, probably the only time you would have a problem is if you were involved in an accident!,,,,,

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!