Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers License Wake Up Call

Default Drivers License Wake Up Call

I recently purchased my Marathon coach. It is at the factory, almost ready to go, if I would stop adding stuff to the list, mostly as a result of reading these different threads, now i need new headlights Zenon I guess? Well anyway, as a new Prevost owner I now am getting FMCA magazine again. I received my first copy this week, the Jan. issue. While kicking back and reading the issue, on page 78 I noticed an article on "MotorHome Regulations". I scrolled down to Florida and looked at the Class of License required to operate a motorhome, and noticed that my license, class E allows me to operate motorhomes up 26001 LBS. I guess that means I will only be able to operate the first half of the coach, maybe up to the galley. Nobody ever mentioned the need for a different Class of license to operate this vehicle, not the salesman, the insurance company, this is a first. My last coach, been a while, 2002 was over the 26001 lbs limit as well, and I whistled around in this one with ignorant bliss, wish I had missed this article. Question: What Fl. license do I need, can't seem to get a clear answer on the Fl. DMV sight.

Thanks,

Bruce

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by 0533 View Post
    I recently purchased my Marathon coach. It is at the factory, almost ready to go, if I would stop adding stuff to the list, mostly as a result of reading these different threads, now i need new headlights Zenon I guess? Well anyway, as a new Prevost owner I now am getting FMCA magazine again. I received my first copy this week, the Jan. issue. While kicking back and reading the issue, on page 78 I noticed an article on "MotorHome Regulations". I scrolled down to Florida and looked at the Class of License required to operate a motorhome, and noticed that my license, class E allows me to operate motorhomes up 26001 LBS. I guess that means I will only be able to operate the first half of the coach, maybe up to the galley. Nobody ever mentioned the need for a different Class of license to operate this vehicle, not the salesman, the insurance company, this is a first. My last coach, been a while, 2002 was over the 26001 lbs limit as well, and I whistled around in this one with ignorant bliss, wish I had missed this article. Question: What Fl. license do I need, can't seem to get a clear answer on the Fl. DMV sight.

Thanks,

Bruce
    Bruce, I can't comment directly on what you read, but I was under the opinion that RVs when not commercial are not under the CDL rules in FL..
    The law may have changed, but when looking up Florida Bureau of Motor Vehicles "BMV" web site one still finds that to be true. Have a look see and you decide.
    http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/cdl-faqs.php
    Look at the FAQs paragraph one and it clearly states what is covered by a CDL.
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 01-12-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Even if the motorhome is a non-commercial vehicle some states require the non-commercial class B license because the vehicle is over 26,000 # and/or has air brakes.

It is highly unlikely any of us will be stopped at random, but if we are stopped for an infraction, or are involved in an accident having at least a driver license appropriate for the class will all of a sudden be very important. It is possible an insurance company will refuse to pay claims if you are driving out of license. It is probable that if you are stopped for any reason and the police determine you do not have the correct license, you will be hiring a driver to move your bus to a safe place or paying for a tow.

If you tow a trailer, and it is a large heavy trailer in exess of 10,000 lbs there are some states that will require a Class A license. It is not worth the risk in my opinion. If your state requires a license the best thing you can do is get that license. My insurance company (Interstate, through Explorer) offers a discount for a commercial driver license, and that alone will pay for the license over time.

Hello Jon,

I agree in general with your comments, and like anything else worth doing, the advanced license would be helpful for many reasons including improving ones skill level.
    Most states have reciprocal agreements with each other, in other words Illinois accepts a Florida license requirements etc. I can not find a clear answer in the Florida DMV laws that say that I need a commercial (CDL) license to operate a non-commercial vehicle, only a reference to a max weight of 26001 LBS. It appears to be somewhat of a grey area. I want to be legal, but I also want to head out to Oregon and pick up my marathon and have some fun. I would sure like to know the legal Florida answer to this question. On Monday I will call the DMV and hopefully get a senior english speaker who can direct me to the chapter and verse.

thanks,

Bruce

Default Think I found the answer

Hello All:

I think I have dodged the bullet this time. I went to a page on the Florida DMV site that exempts motor vehicles from the CDL requirement as long as the vehicle is used for non-commercial use

CDL Exemptions: Florida DMV.

The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license in the state of Florida:

* Drivers of authorized emergency vehicles that are equipped with extraordinary audible warning devices that display red or blue lights and are on call to respond to emergencies;or
    * Military personnel driving military vehicles; or
    * Farmers transporting farm supplies or farm machinery, or transporting agricultural products to or from the first place of storage or processing or directly to or from market, within 150 miles of their farm; or
    * Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes; or
    * Drivers who operate straight trucks (single units) that are exclusively transporting their own tangible personal property which is not for sale.
    * An employee of a publicly owned transit system who is limited to moving vehicles for maintenance or parking purposes exclusively within the restricted-access confines of a transit system's property.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce.

Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes
    Bruce, that sounds like it's the key. The important thing (at least it was in CA), is to make sure it it licensed as a recreational vehicle. If you go in and say "bus" in the DMV, you can sometimes get the clerks confused. In CA at least, ours will specifically say "motorhome" somewhere on the registration.

Ray

ps: As an example, however, in CA if the coach is over 40 ft, then it requires a Class B non-commercial license.

It's my understanding that the state of Florida makes the exemption if it is a recreation vehicle.That seems to be the key.

However, it is probably a good idea to have the appropriate Class license in the event of a legal challenge (read lawsuit).

Well, in ILLINOIS you have:
    up to 26001 LBS
    above 26001 LBS
    and CDL (comercial)
    What is the problem, our Prevosts are above 26001 LBS and we need this kind of driver license. You don't want attorneys or insurance companys to explain to us again in case of an accident when they do not pay the claim, because you were driving with out a proper license. Case closed !

As Bruce points out there are states, TN being one of them, that has no requirement for a license other than the one required to drive a car.

That means you can legally own and drive a Prevost anywhere in this country. But the minute you end up rear ending the a$$hole that changed lanes in front of you and then spiked his brakes you can also count on his lawyer making a big deal of the fact you don't have a license to prove you actually know how to drive that big rig. With all respect to Darl, I used the same concerns relative to braking the toad. I was less concerned about the 20 foot shorter stopping distance than I was about the lawyer describing me as irresponsible to the jury.

Either make sure you have a very big umbrella policy or spend a buck or two and get the license you really do not need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    As Bruce points out there are states, TN being one of them, that has no requirement for a license other than the one required to drive a car.

That means you can legally own and drive a Prevost anywhere in this country. But the minute you end up rear ending the a$$hole that changed lanes in front of you and then spiked his brakes you can also count on his lawyer making a big deal of the fact you don't have a license to prove you actually know how to drive that big rig. With all respect to Darl, I used the same concerns relative to braking the toad. I was less concerned about the 20 foot shorter stopping distance than I was about the lawyer describing me as irresponsible to the jury.

Either make sure you have a very big umbrella policy or spend a buck or two and get the license you really do not need.
    I agree with you Jon, we need to be very careful, and we should all have the CDL in a perfect world, but until the timing is right, the best plan is to learn what the limits are for both the coach and the driver.

In regards to the Florida drivers license, and this holds true from what I am reading in FMCA's Jan issue many states allow a regular license holder to operate a over 26000 LBS, Air brake rigs, and each of these states law enforcement recognize the license. The differences appear to be more toward the overall length, posted speed limits and height. They vary considerably from state to state.

Now liability is another animal all together, and in my opinion it should be separated from all else, like Jon said, when you are sitting in court, its too late to protect yourself and your assets.

Like many of you all, and for this very reason, my coach is in a Montana LLC, its a corporation, I am a member and everything is with an attorney in the Truck capital of the free world. many people use Montana LLC's to avoid the tax man, but the real benefit in my opinion is liability.